Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,

I have got my MOT coming up soon in August :cry: and was just wanting to check what will fail my car i have a list of problems ive found

car spec 2001 alfa 156 2.0l ts :cool:

Work to be done (that im aware off) :confused:

1) blowing exhaust from flexi and or manifold (booked in next week for full service and exhaust repair)
2) wiper motor only works on highest setting and wont go to rest position (cleaned it still the same)
3) inside trye wear front passenger (will get a set of 4 new tyres the week before)
4) unknown, knocking sound over bumps (front passenger side)
5) airbag warning light on (hopefully i will remove this with fiatecuscanner)
6) chip on windscreen (been repaired by autoglass looks the fooking same !!!)
7) bulb warning light (comes and goes but it is always the rear number plate light bulb)
8) steering wheel slightly offcentre to right
9) sticking 4th gear (comes and goes)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Ok looks like you're not far off a pass

1 exhaust needs to be fixed.
2 wipers should be of as long as it clears the screen. I don't think variable speed matters as long as they work. could be the stalk thats bugg£red.
3 must have 1.6mm depth or more over 75% of tyre
4 Knocking is you lower wishbone which is what is causing your tyre wear, When they change that they will track it so will stop knocking and wear and will also centre your wheel if you ask them too. Car may fail on lower wishbone ball joint if not changed.
5 Airbag light on is not a fail.
6 Chip must be smaller than 5p or less in wiper area or 10p in all others
7 as long as all the bulbs work correctly this is ok.
8 As mentioned above. Not a fail anyway.
9 Not a fail. Get you oil level in the box checked. Could be low.

So relax. not too bad after all

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
No worries. like I said. Not 100% on the wipers but pretty sure thats right and def right on everything else.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update:

just got my car back from justin yesterday , exhaust done and full service and i also got a list of what needs to be done,

1) x1 n/s/f upper wishbone arm ball joint worn

2) x2 rear hand break cables worn

3) power steering leak (possible rack or pipe but rack has play in it)

4) rear pads and disks 90% worn

5) x 2 front tyres inner bald

anyone got a clue as to how much this is all going to cost before i book it in next month ?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wiper problem is the motor contacts/circuit board, not the stalk :thumbs:
its the cicuit board , i pulled the motor out and cleaned the contacts bur noticed that the board had some burnt out contacts so new motor me thinks

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just been quoted £770 new or £580 recon :wow: for steering rack (part only) from afla , so im hoping it is just the pipe that needs doing

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cheers 147dav , had a look on ebay and there about £50-£80 USED or £100-£250 NEW so not too bad guess ill have to book the other work in first and see if it is the rack or pipe

·
Registered
200 Posts
The wiper problem is the motor contacts/circuit board, not the stalk :thumbs:
Had the same problem caused in winter by the wife trying to clear ice from the wind screen, but the wipers were frozen on to the screen :mad:, this resulted in the motor contacts welding them selves on.

all you have to do is pop the end cap off the motor which frees the brushes and all will work again, you can give all the linkages a service at the same time :thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no probs. If you can weild a spanner the brake cables/rear discs and pads arent too bad to do yourself.

Sounds like itd be worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done after the wishbone gets done and tyres replaced

Dav

1 - 14 of 14 Posts