Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about this but it stems from a rather heated debate in the pub yesterday with a fellow 156 owner. Here is my side of the arguement (which is still stewing).

In its final guise the 156 Lusso was the top of the range car. Designed for luxury and driving comfort, it was more expensive (slightly) and better equipped than its veloce stablemate. Standard leather and cruise control are considerably more convenient for everyday motorway driving pleasure than low and stiff suspension with a set of skirts.

5 out of 6 156's on the road are veloces and if you look at the classifieds, they are, in most cases, veloces which gives the Lusso a bit more of appeal (in my opinion) due to its degree of exclusivitey.

Aaaaarghhh. Grrrrrr. Anyone agree??? Pleeeeasse??

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The best thing is to get a GTV Lusso, then you have the best of both worlds :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends what the buyer is looking for. I actively avoided Lusso's when I bought one as I can't cope with soft suspension, and even the Veloce's setup is terrible IMHO. I only care about how a car drives, not how it looks inside, though with the ridiculous angle I have to put my leg at on the motorway to maintain something like the national limit, cruise control wouldn't have gone amiss.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Nah, the Veloce with leather is the best, cruise as an option if you want it.

Lusso's bounce around too much and can't cope with 17" wheels either.:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry mitch, but the lusso certainly doesn't bounce, nor does it have the discomfort of feeling every chip on the road, unlike the veloce. (or for that matter, the wifes 147 which also happens to be a Lusso, but that may be a different story!!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Leather and cruise sure is nice but my 2.4JTD Lusso certainly gets a bounce going on the right bit of road. Perhaps it's due to the weight of the 2.4 lump. Robertio, do you find this or does the Veloce suspension sort it out?

I did want the stiffer ride and was looking for a Veloce when I found mine.

Keep meaning to have a look at the undertray to see if I can raise it in any way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree mitch. I concur that the extenal aesthetics of the veloce are very pleasing, however the options of leather and cruise did not come cheap on top of the standard veloce spec.:)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I think if you put them up against the ford trim levels it'd go like this.

Turismo - LX (Has some niceties but not everything)
Lusso - Ghia (Got the lot shoved in it)
Veloce - Si (Some niceties but with a slant on sportiness)

Really you can't put a Veloce and a Lusso off against one another as they are different cars for people with different needs. Seeing as people generally buy Alfa's for their perceived sportiness the Veloce would be a better seller, and a more sought after variant.

I was looking for a 156 when I first started looking at Alfa's (before I realised I could afford a 147) I was looking solely at Veloce's, I think in a way the Veloce is more desirable amongst Alfa owners because of it's perceived sportiness.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
What Ghostydog said, can't really add to that :rolleyes:

;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NSJ. Agree, there is a time and place for cruise control, but when you want it and it's there, it's nice to have.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are Veloce's exterior differ from Lusso???
I've found a 156 2.5 here could you tell what complictation it is???
And i think it's not in the best condition to buy it!!! Need your opinion!!! ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chingashow, the car you're looking at appears to me to be an old style lusso. The wooden steering wheel was a feature of that particular car however I think it was also available as an option. The white dials were veloce spec so be careful you know what you're getting. I'd approach it with caution. If you're in any doubt whatsoever though, I'd save your cash until a car came up which you are completely sure of. KZ has ties for me and I wish you good luck..

·
Registered
274 Posts
chingashow, the car you're looking at appears to me to be an old style lusso. The wooden steering wheel was a feature of that particular car however I think it was also available as an option. The white dials were veloce spec so be careful you know what you're getting. I'd approach it with caution. If you're in any doubt whatsoever though, I'd save your cash until a car came up which you are completely sure of. KZ has ties for me and I wish you good luck..
Thanx!!! Lusso maybe good but not for me :)
I'm not buying it, just sick with my CR-V, i want smth new before i get new Alfa, why not an old Alfa??? :) !!! If it were Veloce i would look at it. But as long as it not i jst leave it :)
i like that it has 2.5 V6 which is enough to be at 100km/h in 7 sec :D

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Sorry leveret but it has to be veloce for me - Both my 156's had sport packs (pre veloce) but same thing. Lusso was the wooden steering wheel & console, boring "wheel trim look" alloys, high stance old man spec. IMHO.

Maybe not so old man spec. on later models but still not what I want an Alfa to be!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts