Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

About to pop my Alfa cherry thanks to a change in my company's car policy. Have already decided on the 2.0 140 JTDM engine due to tax reasons, but am a little unsure which trim to go for.

My budget will alllow me to have the Veloce with red leather sports seats and etna black pain but little else. However I could also pimp up the Lusso with etna black, red leather, 18" 5 hole wheels, red brakes and aluminium trim. I read somewhere that the sports suspension on the Veloce can be a little firm but has anyone compared it to the Lusso and which do folks prefer? Also will the 18" alloys affect the ride much compared to 16" or 17" wheeels? I'll be doing a mixture of motorway and minor A-road driving, and the occasional East Anglian b-road (ie country lane).

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dad has just gone through a similar dilemma. He's a private purchaser so his constraints were set by himself and not a fleet manager but he didn't want to spend too much and wanted a decent ride quality. He ended up going for a lusso but with the 17inch wheels as the standard 16s are both too small and not the most attractive design. The hope is that standard suspension and 17s will give a good compromise. We will see in January when it arrives.

Car magazine recently tested a vel on 18s and complained that the combination of sports suspension and big wheels made the ride too firm. What a lusso on 18s would be like I'm not sure. I test drove a vel on 17s and found the ride to be pretty good.

Personaly I'd go with a vel on standard 17s, auto lights and wipers and a paint upgrade if your fleet manager will stretch to it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tops. The other option is Veloce 170 diesel with TCT but no red leather. How well does the auto box cope with the torque and are the microfibre seats as comfy as the full leather?

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

·
Registered
47 Posts
It would be good to hear if anyone has experience of Lusso v Veloce suspension with 17/18 inch wheels. I too fretted over over speccing up a lusso or getting a veloce as I really liked the brown leather which is not available on the veloce. The red dash is a cool option on the lusso too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went for a Lusso plus 17" turbines (16's just didn't look right and i couldn't justify the 18" as I am private buyer), the ride has been great plus you get the toys (BT, rear sensors and auto wipers/lights).

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I had that dilemma - private purchase, but it was much easier to find a Veloce than a specced up lusso, for me it was interesting to note that second hand the veloce managed to keep its premium over a lusso. Not sure how the extras would swing it in favour of a Lusso though (Once a lusso, always a lusso....). I've come from a GT on 18" wheels and can't believe how supple the suspension is (Veloce on 17's). It's like a magic carpet ride!

Personally I would have liked the rear parking sensors and the visibility pack, but ultimately the 17" turbines the dark aluminium trim and the half leather won me over. Having looked at a couple of cars with leather it just looks as if they've swapped the seats - the door trim doesn't match. It's also quite shiny/slippery which doesn't help. You'll get blue & me on whichever you buy so unless you're putting anything extra in it's visibility pack and sensors versus half leather, real aluminium, and bigger wheels. I wanted it all personally, however you can make sure your's gets it all, but like I said if you buy a Lusso, you've always got a Lusso.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
so does my Lusso with 18s and at the time Veloces could not be ordered with Visibility pack.You might think auto lights are not needed but I saw a white Veloce with lights off and in complete darkness locally.Stealth mode?

M

·
0 Posts
Apart from the door sills on the Veloce, how do they differ in the flesh? (bearing in mind I'll be getting bigger wheels on the Lusso)
Veloce gets darker headlamps as well i believe? The side skirts do also help it to look sportier than a lusso.

Worth looking at the standard Veloce seats if you haven't already as they are pretty nice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Veloce everytime, i don't find the ride too firm on the 17s, nice and balanced, and the darkened stuff and side skirts are a massive improvment imo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Veloco is much much better looking. I can not compare drive experience because I have never driven Lusso.
Having seen it in the flesh, the side skirts and darkened light surrounds do look nifty. However prefered the feel of the standard seats to the full leather so will be able to pop rear sensors on, red calipers and maybe 18" wheels.

So Veloce it is, but now the question is: Alfa red or Etna black, and turbine wheels or 18" sports or 5 hole? So many lovely choices!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
We have an Etna black Mito so I was looking at Alfa red and ghiaccio white....then profundo blue. Then I saw a couple of anthracite..... dirty alfa red just look ordinary, taxis round here are white(!) blue only looks good in the sun, but anthracite....that just looks good all the time! You guessed it - I got an anthracite one. Check out the colours threads

If you can get the the 5 hole wheels they look fabulous it's the one thing I missed out on, I'm content with turbines though!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine came down to the same choice chose Etna black in the end with the 5 holes, Do love that red though!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah crap! Just seen one in Anthracite grey and it looked very purdy. This is the hardest decision I've ever made! As a matter of interest, how effective are the folding mirrors? Do they actually fold out of the way like the BMW ones do, or just angle slightly like the VW ones?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have chosen 1.4MA Veloce in Alfa silver, sunroof, vis pack,tomtom port,darkened windows,bi xenons @ rear p sensors. I think the turbines look great & the suspension is more forgiving.
Having had xenons I wouldn't go back.
I like the way the lighter colour of the car contrasts with the black/darkened additions. The white is rather smart but I would be for ever washing it!

Personally I find it odd that silver is a no no for most peeps but we're all different

A

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Righty oh. 2.0 JTDM 140 in Anthracite grey, turbine wheels, red callipers, parking sensors, TomTom port and xenons. Form filled in will send in the morning. However I haven't totaled the cost yet, the frugal part of my brain may yet be defeated by the lure of those 18" Sports alloys...

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ah crap! Just seen one in Anthracite grey and it looked very purdy. This is the hardest decision I've ever made! As a matter of interest, how effective are the folding mirrors? Do they actually fold out of the way like the BMW ones do, or just angle slightly like the VW ones?
The mirrors just angle in like the VW ones , the shape of the casing means they still stick out a bit and there not linked to the locking of the car, I still ordered them on my G however.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a veloce on 18s and I think the ride is fine. That said I did come from a BMW and runflats! I also didn't bother with leather on mine as the standard seats are good enough to make the outlay for leather a daft choice IMO.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts