Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Roughly 3 days ago it started, seems to be running lumpy ie no torque at all until about 3K then drives normal. Smokes a bit and had to top up (1 LTR of oil) after about a weeks use, removed spark plugs and noticed oil deposits on first 2 cylinders from right, not losing water, am I losing oil into the cylinders via the head gasket,probably ? , overheated about 1 mth ago maybe head warped, thats my diagnosis anyway, any comment or ideas welcome.. going to alfa expert on wed anyway what test's can be done to confirm cyl head gasket leak ??? BTW the alfa garage I go to has never had a 16V with a busted head gasket ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi
eek! eek! eek! You could try looking in the water expansion tank and check for oil deposits or excessive surging when you rev the engine. Any oil is a definite sign of blown gasket. :(
A garage will have a gadget which can 'sniff' for hydrocarbon gases in the water tank, which would be a better test.
Another thing you could try would be a compression test. :confused:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
hopefully its just the rocker cover gasket they always leek they are a bit of a pain some people fit with silicone some dont had mine on both ways and now hasent leeked for 2 years after fitting without sealant, if it is this then make sure you order both parts as there is a small section that is seperate from the rest.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how did you see oil deposits from removing the plugs.????

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lumpy running is a logical progression from the problems you experienced before and, in conjunction with these, further suggestion that the head gasket has failed (loss of compression in one or two cylinders). Sounds as if the leak is getting worse - I'd do something about it sooner rather than later.

Ian

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I'm taking it to alfa tomorrow so I'll keep you posted, for JB, when I removed the plugs, on the aforementioned cylinders they were wet with oil not dry as the others were.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bike pump attached to your reservoir put some pressure on it (manometer) , if you lose pressure your gasket has gone to heaven.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

For vortexsurfer, thats the thing thats confusing I am not losing any water and there is no mayo, although I havn't tried a pressure test.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil can leak into the cylinders without leaking into the water passages. Similarly gaskets can leak between cylinders without leaking any fluids at all.

Ian

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers, Ian Spring, thats what I'm thinkin the prob could be, all the symptoms point to this anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts