Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has developed a lumpy tickover. Started ticking over at 1200rpm but has now dropped back to 900 - 1000rpm. Sounds almost like a misfire, but the obvious stuff looks OK (apart from a little split in one of the HT leads which has been there for ever !!!) Would this cause my problems ????
Anything else I should check before renewing the HT leads ????
There is a "valve" thingy attached to the airchamber at the inlet manifold, if I disconnect the supply from this, the car idles at 800rpm, but is still lumpy.

What are the best HT leads to get ????
Alfa ones or aftermarket things, and what prices ??? (1.8 litre 8 valve)

Thanks

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
that valve is a VAE valve it could be stuck if you take it out you can clean it with carb cleaner also make sure you dont have any splits in the intake pipes.if you spray a fine mist of water over the HT leads with one of those squirty bottle things (look under the sink the wife should have one)you will see the sparks coming from any leads that are split.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Jimybob

The previous owner told me about spraying stuff into that valve, but I didn't think it would "break" suddenly while driving.
Can't I just hold onto the leads with wet hands ???? wink wink
I could straighten my curly hair too !!! :)

I'll get the mist sprayer out along with the carb cleaner.

I actually used the carb cleaner I got with the car to clean the leaked oil off the gearbox !!!!!
That high pressure jet with all those harmful solvents did the business.

Thanks again

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, cleaned the VAE valve, the spring and moving part move freely and it looks OK.
My tickover is still fluctuating between 900rpm-1200rpm when the engine is warm. Sometimes the car is OK, then the next time I drive it, the revs rise again !!!
It's almost like the car is putting the choke on as when I accelerate, the car flies !!!!
Anything else to check before I stick it in to Alfa to be ripped off ????

Help
Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had similar but more severe prob with my 2l 8v 3 yrs ago, mine accelerated upto 2,500 or 3,000rpm. Even underload. Quite a scarey drive upto the garage following a bin lorry at less than 30mph, I had to keep blipping the clutch to stop it accelerating into the lorry. After £250 pounds diagnostic work and one wrong part changed, the alfa garage decided it was the ECU (they put one out of a GTV they had in and it worked ok). Lucky had a warrenty for parts at the time as it might have cost a further £700 pounds for a new ECU. If you have a willing friend with a similar car maybe a quick swap would hopefully elimate that.

Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 57i kit too. Maybe there is air leaking in somewhere. I'll check with soapy water.

Marlon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts