Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Had my 159 about 6 weeks now and everything's going fine except for it being a little 'lumpy' when idling. Only happens when it's warm - but not guaranteed if you get me!

Essentially, the rev counter hops between about 750(normal) and 800 and I can feel it in the car. If i gently hold my foot on throttle to bring it to 1000 revs it holds fine, just when idling.

I've cleaned the EGR valve, had a fair amount of soot in but not as much as other's i've seen on forum - but regardless of that it didn't help!

Any ideas what could be causing it? Done a bit of searching and DPF seems a potential culprit, are these symptoms related to it?

An average month's driving is a mix between city and dual carriageway, home to office is 3 miles through typical city traffic but do at least 60 miles a week on open roads.

Any help much appreciated :)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm aware of. Does it give you message on the dash when it happens? Is there any way I can force it?

·
Registered
963 Posts
If you search on here you'll find some tips on how to trigger it with software. Unfortunately I can't help much more - like many I decided just to bypass the problem and remove the DPF and EGR.

Are there any other symptoms?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Does it give you message on the dash when it happens? Is there any way I can force it?
Indications of a DPF regen are a big increase in fuel consumption, and when lifting off the gas, the turbo gauge drops straight to zero (rather than slowly dropping to just above). It might go into limp mode as well.

If you have a cable and FiatECUScan, you can check error codes, as well as when a regen was last performed. With the registered version, you can run one on demand, as long as certain conditions are met.

·
Registered
55 Posts
lumpy idle when warm seems to be a recurrent problem on the 2.4 from what I've read on here and I've not read of an obvious clear cut solution. Mine does exactly the same. Smooth when cold, erratic idle when warm. Not had it in for a diagnosis yet. Just put a can of BG244 in and already noticing some improvement and less of a big blue cloud on start up. Will see how that goes after the tank full is used up. I think I have a split in the big air intake hose so will tackle that next, before I take the plunge and take it to the garage...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Lumpy idling is 'normal' and gets more noticable as the car ages. It can be caused by a number / combination of difficult to identify and neigh on impossible to rectify bits and bobs.

Standard wear and tear just seems to have this affect on the diesel engines. My ti has 85,000 on it now....i questioned the same think at Turin Motors in Leeds and they sdat me in a 159 sportwagon 2.4 that only had 29,000 miles on it and a similar (albeit weaker)vibration was noticable in that as well.

Having said that the vibration is only marginal in mine, a very minor thing.

EDIT: When I say normal i mean for Alfa's :) not sure about other marques

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine does same, currently with main dealer as fed up with it. They reakon cylinder head screwed with carbon deposits which is not uncommon, and that's consistant with various posts on here. Should be getting replaced with new modified head under warranty (better be covered, will see what kidneys go for on ebay later in case its not!!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts