Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Just joined the forum to ask a question to help me make the final decision on buying my first Alfa. I'm 99% on the way to buying either a 2.0 spider lusso or a 2.0 gtv lusso. The only thing that would make a difference in my final choice is this :- Will I get a suitcase behind the front seats in either of the two models?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go for the spider you can get a fair bit behind the seats. Just use a few smaller bags rather than on big one. Its very easy to live with. The spider is in my very biased view the one to go for, its great to have the option of roof or no roof and the car looks simply stunning with the roof down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm, thanks so far. I know that being able to get a sutcase into the car is not the be all and end all of things, but for me I'm afraid it is. If I am unable to get the missuses suitcase in when I drop her off at the airport on her twice yearly visits to her parents abroad, I'll be struggling to justify ( in her eyes ) getting my new toy. And us boys must have our toys. I'm assuming, with this thread, that a suitcase in the boot is a complete no-no as I can't get one in the boot of my megane cabbie. I can get a good sized case in the megane rear "seats" by putting the roof down first.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but your choice of car should never be dictated by your wife's two yearly visits to her parents. I personnaly suggest (from a safe distance from your wife :) ) you just give her the money for an airport cab service and get what you want.

The GTV has enough room in the back to slide a couple of smallish hard suitcases in with a bit of wiggling. Plenty of soft luggage room in the boot.

If you want to really win her over you can probably track down a bespoke GTV leather luggage bag from Italy and give it to her as a present if she lets you have the car.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Alfa do a purpose made suitcase for the boot, they come up on ebay from time to time, but you'd be surprised what you can get in there. Any medium sized case will fit so long as its not too fat. You can also take out the "space" saver spare wheel and get even more in (I'd advise an emergency puncture aerosol tho!) You can also get a rack for the boot, which looks pretty good actually.

We went to the South of France and Italy this summer with no prob.

When the hood's up you can also use the hood storage space for wine etc!! but remember to empty it before lowering the hood!!

dan

H

·
0 Posts
Me and Mrs H can get a full size suitcase across the Back seats of the Cup :D

Big enough for a week away :D

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
If there is no spare (space-saver) wheel in the boot you'll get a large suitcase in. Done it. But it depends on your definition of a large suitcase! If its the size of a cabin truck it won't. Why not get her suitcase and try it in a GTV and in a Spider.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many thanks for the input guys and/or gals. Armoore, good news is, I did that today with a gtv, and a big case goes in easy peasy behind the front seat and, to my surprise, the boot is approx the same size as the megane cabbies. I quite fancy a gtv now ( done the convertible thing a few times now so fancy a change ). Big decision is 2.0 or 3.0 v6? Insurance for the 2.0 is the same as my megane cabbie ( £220 fully comp), I've hade various fully comp quotes for a 3.0 v6 going from £370 up to infinity. I've neevr owned an alfa, but I have a niggling feeling that many who opt for the 2.0 gtv wish they had gone that step further to the 3 litre. Quotes of 8 mpg around town are a bit scary tho.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol Monty, I'm not sure if the 20 - 25 mpg feedback from a 3.0 is correct or that I'm only getting feedback from 3.0v6 salesmen! If 20 - 25 on a run is realistic then it's a very viable option. The fuel consumption on my 2 litre megane cabbie has never exceded 26 and averages 24.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I'm not very good at MPG.. for a start it's all in litres these days and petrol is so expensive I don't even want to think about it.

All I know is that the v6 is such a good engine you can drive it in 4th like an automtaic in town :)

I had a 156 ts and whilst very good it won't put the same smile on your face as a v6.

D

·
0 Posts
My 156 V6 used to give me 18MPG, but I drove it enthusiastically to say the least. :lol:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
you can get a surprising amount in the 916 shape Spider - its far FAR more practical than my new onw.

The space behind the seats in the 916 is especially good, its nice to have a 'boot' inside the car.:cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've found the GTV to be much more practical than I was expecting. I got a weeks luggage for 2 in no problem, just one case on the back seats and the space saver in situ, I suspect if there were kids in the equation it would be another story.

The back seats are not spacious but with the front seat forward there's just about room for a petit adult to tolerate a short ride. I hardly ever have people in the back but it's nice to know I could if I needed too, the rest of the time I just treat it as storage.

The TS manages pretty reasonable mpg on a run and is more than fast enough for me, I do occasionally long for the V6 but the insurance is a stretch for me on the 2.0 and the rate that petrol prices are going up would probably mean I wouldn't be able to drive it in a years time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Buy a spider and do what I've just done, buy a boot rack, they actually look great when fitted and you can strap all sorts to the back. I went on my honey moon 4 weeks ago and spent 12 days driving down through France, we had an old trunk strapped to the boot and we had loads of room, there is also plenty of room in the boot for cases of wine, and behind the seats for well more wine obviouosly.. The weather was great and we had the top down most of the time, granted with some heavy jumpers and coats on but it was wonderful, you certainly get some attention, locals come and talk to the mad English... Do it, buy a spider, get a boot rack, and pray you never have to take your car to an Alfa main dealer if you get a problem, they are worse than useless (see my previous post). But the car itself well when the sun shines and the tops down you can forgive its faults as there is no better place to be......

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You can get loads on the back seat of a GTV :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts