Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an oil flush and interim fluid service prior to going away on a road trip.

On the way down to Dover (8.5 hours worth of road works and average speed cameras) I noticed the engine started to stutter occasionally. The temperature remained stable and no warning lights came on.

I tried to give it an Italian Tune Up on the autobahn in Germany, but even though it felt fine at high speed, there was a definite lack of power and the stuttering remained.

After over 1000 miles, I was 30 miles away from home and moved out to overtake a lorry when the engine/steering cut out and threw up the warning "Low Oil Pressure"!!

Thankfully, I was able to restart the engine, after a few panicky moments.

The warning light stayed on until I got home, but it had gone when I took it to the garage the next day, and they couldn't diagnose a fault as no codes had been thrown up. (great service - they didn't charge me anything as they'd done a couple of runs and electronic diagnostics)

No oil leaks.

Any Ideas?

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Oil pump failure is a possibility. Quite common on the 2.4 engines.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I was thinking Pud, but the guys in the garage couldn't see anything wrong.

As long as I'm not leaking oil, I'm confident its something electric. Obviously, I'll be keeping my eye on it every hour of every day, until it's sorted :)

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have they screwed in an oil pressure gauge and measured oil pressure?

I'd also be tempted to change the oil pressure switch incase it is giving you false errors.
The garage that I had my service at recommended I took it to an Auto-Electrician first (to try and get the warning deciphered and no oil leak) which is what I did.

They did mention this, but they said to see how it goes for a day or 2 before replacing parts that might not have any effect.

I'm thinking it has to be something to do with the oil change service, a couple of days before I went on the long run.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd definitely be checking the oil pressure by gauge to ensure the pressure is definitely correct. I'd also check the oil filter is correctly fitted and undamaged.

Yes it might just be an electronic fault but if it's not then potentially its the end of your engine.

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
I didn't clock the recent oil & filter change. In that case - pull the filter out. Make sure the plastic support which runs through the middle is correctly fitted. These are vital on the 2.4.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The "engine steering cut out" is a stall. As the engine cuts it detects the low oil pressure first because the systems still think the engine is running.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The "engine steering cut out" is a stall. As the engine cuts it detects the low oil pressure first because the systems still think the engine is running.
Agreed, that's happened both times when I've stalled my Giulietta (in six years, I don't make a habit of it).
Therefore the message was an effect and not a cause, possibly!

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Something wrong for it to stall on the motorway though, and unless the clutch was dipped, the revs wouldn't have dropped low, and so the oil pump should have kept up pumping and the pressure light shouldn't have come on.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Reading the advice about the filter, are these 2.4 ones different from other type of engines.

Mine is a 1-piece insert, which seems hard to control whether it has fitted correctly or not once screwed in. Is there something you should check in particular before fitting, next to the obious right part number and quick visiual check on corresponding length and diameter compared what has come out (if that was the correct filter anyway).

From what I’ve seen flying by on other fora, OPEL/VAUXHALL as well as our brand, is that the 2.0 seems to suffer from a detoriated seal between pump and sump, resulting in air getting sucked in. Is it different on a 5-potter?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
righto gang - since my return I've had it in 2 garages.

The garage I took it to for the oil service suggested i took it to an auto electrician round the corner from them.

Unfortunately, the warning light had gone off, so they couldn't find any faults.

Today I took it back to the garage that did the oil service. They checked the seating of the filter and couldn't find any faults.

Fair play to both garages, they didn't charge me a penny.

My next plan is to get the oil pressure switch replaced (no pump/belt failure found), and then if no improvement, get the vacuum hoses replaced too.

If that doesn't work, then I reckon I'm screwed...

:(

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
You mentioned an oil flush. It reminds me of something years ago. Apparently there was a Peugeot (old 309 with OHV engine) which went into a garage with oil pressure issues for an oil change. The owner didn't say it had oil pressure issues. Anyway, I seem to recall the flush was credited with displacing gunk which caused low oil pressure. The gunk was visible when the externally accessible oil pressure valve was removed. The trouble was that there was sufficient engine wear/damage to continue to cause issues and only careful questioning of the owner revealed the initial oil change done by the owner a couple of days beforehand had been done because of low oil pressure. The underhanded owner had then handed the car to a garage for an oil change so he could then claim it was the garage's fault.

Low oil pressure would make an engine sound decidedly rattily but as already stated, have the engine's oil pressure checked NOW!

If it is a pump issue, very good quality engine oil can only prevent catastrophic damage temporarily.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
That said, loss of power could only come from an engine seizure or partial seizure. The oil pressure warning would have come on way before lack of power. I think the garages are right to suspect an electrical fault.
I'd still check the oil pressure though.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This makes perfect sense, now I've read it again...originally, I was fixated with the oil pressure and that's still potentially a problem, but now I'm moving to the view that it might now be injectors.

Would that cause it to stall at 50mph on a Motorway?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so far, I've had the filter placement checked, the electrics checked, and I've had the oil pressure switch changed.

The car is running well at the minute, but it still has the rare hiccup.

I've tried an Italian tune-up, but that really didn't make anything go away.

When I start up in the morning, I sometimes (not always) get a puff of white smoke.

Next job is injectors getting checked :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts