Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
The person standing behind the Armco was a marshal, not a steward! :rolleyes:

The fact that the marshal was applauding the drivers suggests that the incident happened after the cars had taken the chequered flag.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think "Lucky" would have been NOT having the accident - but I know what you mean. A lot of energy in that crash. Very glad they all survived.
Thanks for the link - we might all drive more slowly tomorrow

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
That was a heck of a long time before any marshals approached the wreck....at least 20 seconds. I can't see that happening at any UK circuit, can you, Dave? (Although I appreciate that the end of the pit lane isn't normally overstaffed......)

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
That was a heck of a long time before any marshals approached the wreck....at least 20 seconds. I can't see that happening at any UK circuit, can you, Dave? (Although I appreciate that the end of the pit lane isn't normally overstaffed......)
I hope we'd do better than that, but without knowing where the nearest incident marshals were it's difficult to comment. I noticed two people with orange overalls & white helmets who didn't appear interested - possibly recovery crew.

The people who did go to it didn't appear to know what to do. Apart from the response time another major criticism I'd make is that although it was an incident with serious risk of fire none of the first four on scene was carrying an extinguisher - maybe "bottle to every incident" doesn't translate into Japanese.

It does serve as a warning as to how dangerous it can be trackside, though. No room for complacency.

Edit: in fairness to the people involved, the first on scene did go to the driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts