Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question haas been asked a BILLION times but I really need to know.
Does my car have one?
Ok, its an 1985 Alfetta 2000 GTV with a GTV6 body (ALfa had to many bodies So I scored!!:thumbs:)
BUT heres the thing, some say I do, some say I don't I've been following and reading up but I'm lost now, what you guys say???

·
Registered
315 Posts
Neither the GTV 2.0 nor the GTV6 came with lsd, and neither did the 2.5 V6 and 2.0 carburettor 75s. The first transaxle Alfas fitted with lsds were the 3.0 V6 and Twin Spark 75s, in 1987 (although it was an option for the 1.8 Alfetta GT early on).

I know your car is pretty unusual in its mix of twin cam and V6 parts, but I'd be fairly certain it does not have a limited slip differential.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither the GTV 2.0 nor the GTV6 came with lsd, and neither did the 2.5 V6 and 2.0 carburettor 75s. The first transaxle Alfas fitted with lsds were the 3.0 V6 and Twin Spark 75s, in 1987 (although it was an option for the 1.8 Alfetta GT early on).

I know your car is pretty unusual in its mix of twin cam and V6 parts, but I'd be fairly certain it does not have a limited slip differential.
And we have a winner!!!
:D
Thank you!!!
now,next question..
can I get one? :eek:

·
Registered
315 Posts
The lsd-equipped gearbox from the 75 Twin Spark is a direct swap, with the added bonus of better gear ratios (first and second are higher, I think the rest are the same or similar, so they end up nice and close for road use).

The only problem will be the speedo sender, which is different on the 75 to that found on most GTVs (you may be lucky with your car as it's a late one). I'm sure someone on here has done this, maybe they'll be able to give some information.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I overheard a VERY drunk guy at the Alfa Club saying he swopped his 'box for a 75 and he doesn't have to wait 4 year to get it into 2nd either. he says that it just glides in...
methinks I need to find one!
Only problem is, I've NEVER seen a 75 in SA..
EVER!!!
:cry:

A

·
0 Posts
Yes I overheard a VERY drunk guy at the Alfa Club saying he swopped his 'box for a 75 and he doesn't have to wait 4 year to get it into 2nd either. he says that it just glides in...
methinks I need to find one!
Only problem is, I've NEVER seen a 75 in SA..
EVER!!!
:cry:
Hey, someone was selling a 75 2.5 V6 a while ago on the CapeAds site. Engine was blown if I can recall correctly. It might be worth it doing a search to see if it's still on there and more importantly available.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Your Alfetta GTV has the best rear wheel drive in the business with the DeDion Axle. It is so solid and secure that it doesnt need an LSD. When I had mine back in the 80s the back never once ever thought of loosing traction it was Rock Solid and I drove that car at 10/10ths believe me !

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Your Alfetta GTV has the best rear wheel drive in the business with the DeDion Axle. It is so solid and secure that it doesnt need an LSD. When I had mine back in the 80s the back never once ever thought of loosing traction it was Rock Solid and I drove that car at 10/10ths believe me !
I had a 2.0 ts 75 Velocé with LSD. WOW!

It must have been set up for dry use because it was FANTASTIC . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . .until it rained or there was a little oil or grease down or some marbles!

Then you gotta be quick to catch it!

BUT! Talk about spectacular!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm worried about changing anything on this car to be honest. I want to lower the profile and get me a set of Compomotives, but I want to know how it will affect the handling, same problem with the gearbox, will the LSD improve or be too much and put the car over the top completely????:confused::confused::confused:

I had a 2.0 ts 75 Velocé with LSD. WOW!

It must have been set up for dry use because it was FANTASTIC . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . .until it rained or there was a little oil or grease down or some marbles!

Then you gotta be quick to catch it!

BUT! Talk about spectacular!
MMMMM..... scaring me DOESN'T help!!!:tut::tut::tut:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
spinning the inside rear wheel on the gtv6 is what its all about
the later gtv6 had isostatic gear linkage but no lsd the 2.5 75 also had no lsd to be honest ive had isobox gtv6 (1986) and i prefer a well sorted earlier linkage the secret is the little bushing under the lever which links the lever to the rod which operates the rear selector and wether its iso or normal if thats right your gearchanges are smooth
my 1984 gtv6 which i have now has no crunching even when down changing from 3rd to second
ive never had lsd:lol: so cant comment but stepping out the rear and smoking the tyres is spectacular

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,382 Posts
spinning the inside rear wheel on the gtv6 is what its all about.........
but stepping out the rear and smoking the tyres is spectacular
Morning D, can't wait to try this, roll on Spring. :)

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,382 Posts
Originally Posted by fetta head
spinning the inside rear wheel on the gtv6 is what its all about.........
but stepping out the rear and smoking the tyres is spectacular

Ahh - reminds me of my Youth :lol:
:thumbs: I'm still only 21.

Sadly that's not 21 in the decimal system ! :D

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
If you want to do insane burnouts, forget the lsd. My Giulia GTV has it and my mechanic told me he preferred the non-lsd version for spinning. Also good luck finding a 75 here...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you do go the 75 LSD tranaxle route you may have to change the speedo drive and speedometer, thats what I had to do when converting my 116 Giulietta.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the secret is the little bushing under the lever which links the lever to the rod which operates the rear selector and wether its iso or normal if thats right your gearchanges are smooth
Please elaborate on this thing...
I'm very interested, if I can keep my current 'box and just fix that rubber thing, it'll be the better option, BY FAR!!!:thumbs:

If you want to do insane burnouts, forget the lsd. My Giulia GTV has it and my mechanic told me he preferred the non-lsd version for spinning. Also good luck finding a 75 here...
So true...
I've looked like a freak for them, when I went to Jeremy, he just laughed at me... :cry:

A

·
0 Posts
So true...
I've looked like a freak for them, when I went to Jeremy, he just laughed at me... :cry:[/QUOTE]

I'm telling you, there was a guy selling his non running 75 2.5 about 2 months ago. I found the ad on Capeads online but he was selling it with a Jetta - both for 20k.
There was another, which was running, being advertised on Italianjob. I can't recall the price but it was less than 20k.
There are some examples around but I think those who have them are hanging on to them. But I agree, it's not like one would see them everyday. For that matter, I've never seen one on the road yet.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've sent him a mail, but R20K for a gearbox is a bit much, even if i do sell the rest...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts