Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with this for awhile now,after next week I 'll have the new uprated clutch fitted & after that I will be fitting this, I just have to work out which tank to get .

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know where I can buy a "Air Solenoid" , can't seem to find one apart from in the states .
Import duty & general hassle ,so would prefer UK buy.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
Maplin.co.uk list "air solenoid valves" not sure if that is what you mean..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I had a few problems with the solenoid which I have sorted & the LPG tank ie thread sizes on the valves etc ,as the valve threads are NPT which are American sizes ??

It seems though as luck is on my side this time as I have found out that the "Hydraulic" industry uses NPT threads so Bingo!

A few people use a propane bottle but that's on off roader's for hill climbing ,I want the spare wheel type tank with all the gubbins etc.

The Hobbs type switch that is vacuum operated I bought from the states ,I was going to use it as a safety to limit when the lpg is fed into the engine but now I have the correct proportional valve & I can set this to any pressure before it will begin to feed.
I may use the "Hobbs" switch to switch the gas off @3500rpm but again & I think that the proportional valve may also take of this as it will have stopped boosting by then ??

This little switch is great ,you can set it to be NC or NO + plus you can alter the boost levels, quite nifty.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
Why would you want to turn off the gas above a certain rpm?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gas is much better for engine than over-fuelling in quest for more power - see attached pic of what happens when you go too far ie after boost - this piston had physically welded to the block. It's a mates - he had it turned right up on the fuel and boost with no other mods - we did warn him!

I will de cat it as soon as my back has mended & as I said 3 weeks or so it had a new uprated clutch & a flywheel just for the LPG .

When I get the LPG to work I think I may find the limits of the new clutch!

My friend did with his Helix cerametallic clutch on a Land Rover project;
It's a 2.5 Tdi (mechanical injection) originally 110bhp at 4000rpm and 195lbft at 2000rpm.
Engine is setup for low down torque rather than all out power - Garrett GT25 VNT running 30psi boost, uprated intercooler, Megasquirt ECU running mappable sequential LPG injection and also controlling Aquamist water/methanol injection.
Last rolling session he got a peak torque of 435lbft at 1600rpm, didn't get a bhp figure because the clutch started to slip (which is supposed to be rated to 450lbft), but it's probably just shy of 200 as the turbo chokes up above 3500rpm. As a comparison, with LPG off he got 340lbft at a higher 1800rpm. That's with about a 20% mix of LPG.

Attachments

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
I looked into this when I had my JTD and some money, which is why it interests me, but how do you turn down the diesel injection when the LPG is being used? Or do you purely add LPG and keep the diesel fuelling normal?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pud on a few of the propane systems it is a fixed amount of Gas fed in , which really is not any good.

They used to turn down the diesel years back i beleive but mine is the simple progressive system , it is boost related , there is a small diaphragm that adjusts with the vacuum .

Pud have a read of this if you have not already, i found it really interesting & helpful.

TDi LPG/Propane Injection System - uk-mkivs

Allisport Powershot Propane Injection Kit on eBay (end time 01-Mar-10 23:03:17 GMT)

TribesMan ,here you go this will explain it better than I can.

DucCutters: Boost: Propane

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
So you inject some propane into the engine intake, to cool the intake air and promote the burn of a diesel.

This sounds very similar than water/methanol injection to me.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been laid up all day due to this back really annoying as I planned to take the cat off today
& do the drop link .
So after the cat I'll start fitting this kit & have some fun, still undecided on the tank though.

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So you inject some propane into the engine intake, to cool the intake air and promote the burn of a diesel.

This sounds very similar than water/methanol injection to me.
I'm glad the link helped you.

Similar but not quite, Propane injection is when propane is sprayed into the air inlet system and burned with the diesel. Propane is used as a fuel in it`s own right and has a higher flash point then diesel so actually raises the cylinder and EGT temps. Water/methanol is used to lower inlet temps and stop pre detionation in the cylinder. I want low & mid range power, if you have LPG into the engine at high revs for to long it can kill it , really you should (I am ) fit a EGT gauge as the propane can make the temps get a bit high, the main reason I am losing the cat before I fit this kit.

Also I think WMI is more expensive or am I wrong there ??

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Had a few hours to spare & the weather was nice so I fitted part of the front end & the interior switch,will finish of when tank is fitted.

Not decided where to take the vacuum tee from, I intended to go into the vacuum pipes leading to the Turbo actuator but now i am worried that it may affect the Turbo actuator if I do this?
So I may run it to the vacuum take off at the EGR control actuator as I have disconnected this anyway ?

Still have not been able to find a tank @ the right price ,I have found out that 55l is about the largest doughnut tank that will fit in the spare wheel well, I'm looking at about 36L though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Finally got around to getting tank in position, still have to finish off,may have to get a slightly smaller tank though .

Its just set up to see how it runs & so far all seems good.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
Has it had much impact on power/torque or fuel economy yet? I'd be interested to see how much diesel & how much LPG the car uses on a typical motorway run..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still have to sort it out but obvious power is like chalk & cheese when lpg switched on. Have to be careful as I have only just had the uprated clutch & its testing that , I'm getting vibrations through the transmission when I heap it on. Economy, TBH I'm not bothered ,its for power I have fitted this,if it gets better mpg good but I doubt it as I will only turn the lpg on when I want to blast it.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
You should be able to set it up to assist fuel economy, this is what lorries do etc.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh I know it can be set for fuel savings but that's not why its been fitted.
Its purely for + power = Fun!!... :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Decided to see if it does improve mpg when used all the time.
Not very scientific but I filled up 2 weeks ago when the light came on & it took £[email protected] £1.09.9per litre ,today light came on so filled up £50.37p @£1.14.9pLitre !

Thats me driving around town & 2 longish trips where it was pushed along briskly, so it seems to save a bit of £

1 - 19 of 19 Posts