Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i own an alfa 155 2.0 t/s 16v. i intend to lower my car a bit (around 30mm). any advise on springs/absorbers that are suitable. of course, i don't want to sacrifice ride comfort (if possible).

G

·
Tha Alfa 155 are very lower,if you lower your car more,you'll got better stability,and worse comfort. And is probably that your Alfa will "nibble the grass" often as you want.

·
Registered
550 Posts
BOB0962:
HEAR AT CARLOS ARECES, HE IS CORRECT IN HIS COMMENT, IT NO WORTH TO DO THAT IN A 16 VALV.
YOU WILL RIDE LIKE CISKO KID !!
REGARDS
JORGE

G

·
I fitted Eibach springs (progressive rate at the back) which I bought from the agents. They lower the car 30mm. Ride quality is not much harder/harsher than with the standard springs, honestly. I felt only a very small difference. The car is hard sprung in my opinion even in standard form.
I lowered my car because the car looks so much better with smaller gaps under the wheel arches. It looks like business now.
But you have to decide for yourself what your preferences are.

regards
jacques

G

·
Hi Bob
If your 16v is an "S" version it's already 15 mm lower than the Super version. Mine's an S and I think this is low enough and will scrape the front spoiler on kerbs etc. if I'm not careful. Any lower it will scrape on rams and bottom of car in deep snow etc.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Does anybody know is front spoiler of "Sport" version same as "Super" has. One good idea to slightly lower super version might be to use springs and absorbers from sport version. Has anyone tried that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Erik,

I don't think Bob has to worry about deep snow in Kuala Lumpur!

G

·
Hi Richward
I suppose you're right about the snow. Maybe they've something else that's deep (on the roads, that is).
Well, it's all a question of preferences.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Hey Bob, I'm just about to fit my 40mm H&R springs that I got in October last year (check out "Variable Height Suspension" topic). I'm running with standard 205/50R15s and factory shocks. I will let you know my impressions in the next couple of days.
Cheers,

·
Registered
715 Posts
If I was doing it again, I'd spend the extra on Eibach springs as I find the Jamex ones a little firm. As others have said, the 155 is firm anyway in S mode. Mine hates speed bumps now it is lower.

G

·
Hi Bob,

Got my H&R springs fitted yesterday and I’m getting back to you re my first impressions.

Like you I guess I had misgivings about getting it lowered. Especially 40mm, which is a big drop when compared to other cars. I wondered whether it would spoil the ride, whether it would make it impractical to use around town, whether it would make the tyres start rubbing against the bodywork, etc etc.

Once I got it back from the shop last night, I took it over one of the worst roads in town, one that has been dug up and reinstated every five minutes and I did not experience any bottoming out, shocks hitting the end of their mountings or anything like that as I bounced around doing about 70kph down the street. I probably concur with Jaques, that the original set-up must have been pretty stiff anyway.

What I also believe was the biggest test was driving four adult males around in it on the open road i.e. 120kph (we have pretty poor quality national roads here, compared to other developed countries) and I didn’t experience any problems either. So that’s with an extra load of around 300kg on the V6’s original 1350kg.

In terms of the visual impact, again I entirely agree with Jaques that with the original springs the car did sit way too high and needs lowering if only to reduce that unsightly gap between the tyres and the wheelarches. 155s also have that huge ass-end that needs a bit of height taken out of it. I have to say it hasn’t made a huge impact on the way the car looks. The bonus is I want to put on a front lip extension as well, and if the car was any lower I might have problems doing this.

I say go for it. I have absolutely no misgivings at all. I have kept the original springs just in case but I envisage they will just gather dust in the garage.

Cheers and good luck,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi guys (u guys r great),
thks for all the responses and indeed, i do appreciate them (along with the remarks about snow n everything else).
after reading all ur comments, i have come up with the following conclusions:
- the ride is not really compromised generally (of course, it differs from individual preference) and i have to try it out to find out whether i would like it or not.
- eibach springs are hugely recommended
- i can still use the springs with standard/stock absorbers
- handling will improve definitely with the lowered springs
- and of course, the car would look a lot meaner and menacing

well, i guess the next thing i need to do is to rob a bank and get those springs fitted, eh?

will let u guys know if i made the right decisions or is it one of my common irrational thinking.

wish me luck!

G

·
Hello all!!

Well, what a mine field, but here we go!
I took some lowered springs OUT of my 93 2.0TS. The reason...easy...it handled like crap!! A brisk drive around the hills here in New Zealand espcially around my city (Christchurch), revealed this when on every corner the wheels rubbed the body and inside wheels also lost traction. Basicly it was hopeless. I sourced a set of regular height springs and did the same drive again. Hey, what do you know, BRILLIANT!! I feel for REAL driving, ie not track racing, the longer wheel travel is absolutely neccesary. This information is also relvant to the Lancias I have owned (HF Turbo and Integrale 16V).
Food for thought.
Oliver

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with you Oliver. At least partly. I don't experience problem with tyres rubbing the body despite 50 mm lowering and 215/40-17 shoes, but one I wouldn't recommend stiffer springs for the one using the car on rough roads. For me Stockholm is past that limit. And I suppose there are places on this planet with worse roads. I don't use my 155 unless I have no other alternative, even with softest shock setting.

And when it comes to the discussion about shocks, read my thread on yellow Konis on Q4.

By the way. I agree on that it looks much better with lower suspesnion. Definitely.

/A

G

·
Oliver,
Who is the manufacturer of the springs you took out? I can't really believe that the car would handle worse with springs from a reputeable manafacturer like Eibach, H&R, Jamex, etc.
My own experience proves the opposite: After Eibach springs fitted: Slightly better handling, much better looks, insignificant loss of comfort and no rubbing anywhere.

Kind regards
Jacques

G

·
I believe they were Jamex!!!

The problem is not the quality. I'm sure it is fine. But for our twisty hilly roads all paved with heavy tar and chip, the car handled real bad without the suspension travel. My car will out perform another with lowered suspension around the roads I mention. I have tried!!! As for lowering it, I could not get in or out of most driveways without scraping the nose and shingle roads.....forget them. Now I have a real car that can cope with life in NZ!!

G

·
So, if I will put eibach springs to 2.0 ts 16v Super version, my car will be lower 45mm, or 30mm? (15mm lower tham standard 2.016v Sport) ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I measured the highest point with empty car, empty tank and Eibach springs and it measured 137.5 cm, i.e. 5 cm lower than sport setting and 6.5 cm lower than standard setting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts