Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys

i put 18inch wheels on my gtv that i will be transfering on to my spider soon, the only problem is its looks like a 4x4. theres a 3 inch grap from the arch to the tyre and it looks silly, i have seen lowering spring that are 30mm and then ones that are 35mm, probably a stupid question but its this how much the car would drop by? i honestly have no idea........doh!

thanks Jon :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
hi guys

i put 18inch wheels on my gtv that i will be transfering on to my spider soon, the only problem is its looks like a 4x4. theres a 3 inch grap from the arch to the tyre and it looks silly, i have seen lowering spring that are 30mm and then ones that are 35mm, probably a stupid question but its this how much the car would drop by? i honestly have no idea........doh!

thanks Jon :thumbs:
The spring description gives the amount of drop, 20mm lowering springs lower by 20mm and so on, I cant imagine you could fit 18" wheels with lowering springs though jon, the tyres would contact the wheel arch.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Yes but i didn't fit 18's , i'm not sure that you cant lower but i dont think you could lower by 35mm, could be wrong, basically you bring the overall diameter of the wheel down by fitting a lower profile tyre but there is as limit to this.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yes but i didn't fit 18's , i'm not sure that you cant lower but i dont think you could lower by 35mm, could be wrong, basically you bring the overall diameter of the wheel down by fitting a lower profile tyre but there is as limit to this.
I have been told that 18" rims will fit when lowering by 20mm dont know about any further though.

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
I'm running lowered 18s....

...8J 18s on 225 40s + new std spec shocks with no problems.

I'm currently on Eibachs, approx 20mm drop, but have also run the same wheels with Apex & PI lowering springs both around 30mm drop. Only changed to Eibachs to try & get a bit more 'comfort' at slower speeds.

I had the same car on 9J 19s 235 35s & FK adj 'coil overs' but that combination was rock hard & the rears rubbed even without the plastic under guards(now fitted).

Its more the wheel/tyre width combined with the wheel offset(ET) & spacing that pose problems. Mine have an ET of 40, fr spaced 16mm, rears 12mm(16mm rubbed).

Lowering doesn't increase the wheel/suspension travel, in fact it reduces/eliminates the 1st part of travel. As long as you still have bump stops you should be ok but with the lower springs fitted the rear suspension sits on the bump stops before you even drive away. You can cut them down but I prefer to use the earlier TS stops as, although they're slightly shorter, they are stronger. Some people try without bump stops hoping the spring will limit the travel when it gets fully compressed but this won't/doesn't always work out soon enough.

It's a bit of trial & error but you definately CAN lower with 18s, expect a firm ride though & not a 2nd shock absorber as someone on AO has posted.:rolleyes:

I'm not getting into a long debate about this but if you need help or advice please call me. I've done the theory/maths & it works.

Clive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts