Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got these for around £120 by Apex and supposed to be -30mm and they were fitted yesterday. Turn your brightness up and you will see the arch gap which is too much especially with 17's on.

Honestly I see no difference between the old standard springs and these. Don't say they need time to settle because -30mm should be noticable straight away. Infact the other side is slightly higher still!

Just annoyed really, not going to spend another 4-5 hours getting them off and fitting a better brand.
On the positive side, I found out the car has been polybushed by last owner which was a nice surprise.

2014-10-13 12.00.11.jpg

2014-10-13 12.00.23.jpg

·
Registered
37,204 Posts
Ahh Apex springs.

I fitted some of these to my Fiat Coupe when I owned it.

They were utter crap.

The car was slightly lower at the front, but at the back the ride height stayed the same.

I also had issues with the lower coils on the springs touching each other when the car was on the ground. This translated to banging and clanging as the car went over the bumps as more of the coils hit each other.

Also the top part of the spring where the coil bearing sits wasn't quite central to the spring. This meant that the top mounts didn't sit correctly and this made the steering notchy and clonky.

As for the ride and handing, it was harder than standard but at the same time the ride was worse.

This was fitted in conjunction with bilstein B6's

Your best bet would be to get rid of them and get a set of Eibachs which are the real deal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
First i have to say these wheels sit too much inside of the wheel archs and that makes it seems like there is even a bigger gap between the tyres and the archs. Plus, if you have 215x45x17 instead of 225x45x17 (which is the original gtv size) your tyres are smaller than they have to -which also increases the gap-

·
Registered
590 Posts
On the positive side - your Spider looks very nice !

Don't usually like none standard but those alloys really suit the car.

Personally I don't get the whole lowering thing but each to their own :thumbs:

·
Registered
743 Posts
30mm drop should and usually shows right away on all the cars ive lowered , why did you go for that particular brand ??

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30mm drop should and usually shows right away on all the cars ive lowered , why did you go for that particular brand ??
Heard they were better than FK and the like and Eibach were a bit pricey. Oh well, maybe I'll get them next year or something. :(

The funny thing is, I know these springs didn't lower because since it still has standard shocks the ride is exactly the same. No bounce over rough road, nothing. Even the handling round corners feels the same.

Gutted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First i have to say these wheels sit too much inside of the wheel archs and that makes it seems like there is even a bigger gap between the tyres and the archs. Plus, if you have 215x45x17 instead of 225x45x17 (which is the original gtv size) your tyres are smaller than they have to -which also increases the gap-
I know, will get spacers soon but that's not the point. Had these wheels with older springs too so after "lowering" it with new ones it should still be lower than before.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I know, will get spacers soon but that's not the point. Had these wheels with older springs too so after "lowering" it with new ones it should still be lower than before.
Just wanted to mention the thing since i also used the same wheels on my old spider.
The thing is most of the brands, inc. Vogtland and H&R sells the same springs to both v6 and TS. On v6, because the spring pan is closer to the wheels on front, and also the engine is heavier you can notice the difference right away, but on ts, front shocks are different, causing the lowering indicated by the brands cannot be reached.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Spacers will also help to give the look you want. I've got 12 mm universal spacers on the rear bolted to the hubs to save having to line everything up when changing wheels. Along with 50 aspect ratio Tyres fills the arches better even on standard springs.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Spacers will also help to give the look you want. I've got 12 mm universal spacers on the rear bolted to the hubs to save having to line everything up when changing wheels. Along with 50 aspect ratio Tyres fills the arches better even on standard springs.
I'm slightly confused as in a previous thread you state 7mm universal & normally universal spacers don't bolt to the hub. Hub centric adapter/spacers do though & they would need to be at least 12mm.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/707762-ts-16-tyre-size-options.html#post10448553

Also I'm still querying your tyre clearance?

I don't advise everyone rushing out & fitting new 50 profiles as they will rub, you say you fitted used tyres though. New they have a 23mm taller diameter which puts the tyre's tread 11.5mm closer to the arch. This doesn't sound much but under full compression it is & will rub the front arch liners under normal/static load on lock.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator

Clive

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Just wanted to mention the thing since i also used the same wheels on my old spider.
The thing is most of the brands, inc. Vogtland and H&R sells the same springs to both v6 and TS. On v6, because the spring pan is closer to the wheels on front, and also the engine is heavier you can notice the difference right away, but on ts, front shocks are different, causing the lowering indicated by the brands cannot be reached.
Sorry but I think it's the other way round. There is more tyre clearance up to the front shock on a V6, well there is on Koni Sports.

Also most lowering spring manufacturers make different front springs for V6 & TS so the slightly heavier V6 engine shouldn't make any difference. Just to contradict myself though, Alfa sold only one set for the 916, TS or V6.

Clive

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
reads like it was already lowered ?
...or the old springs had sagged...this is very common.

To the OP/Retard, measure your ride height from all 4 wheel centres up to the wheel arch, best on a good flat surface. Please post your measurements & we can soon tell you if it's lower than std/new.

My experiences with Apex hasn't been good & -30 is too much anyway, IMO.

Clive

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Clive. Yes it was 7 mm but I had some 5mm spacers around so I drilled and tapped the hubs and fitted both spacers with 6mm counter sunk bolts. No rubbing detected but would have to take the wheels off to have a good look at the liners. Might have a look this week to be sure.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hi Clive. Yes it was 7 mm but I had some 5mm spacers around so I drilled and tapped the hubs and fitted both spacers with 6mm counter sunk bolts. No rubbing detected but would have to take the wheels off to have a good look at the liners. Might have a look this week to be sure.
!!!!!!!!!!

That would mean that the wheel has no hub lip to 'sit' on as the lip is only 10mm wide. Your wheel is therefore relying on just the wheel bolts, not a good idea or very safe, IMO. Best to get some 12mm hub centric spacers, which have their own 10mm lip, asap before you hit a large pothole & lose a wheel.

Clive

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since the discussion is now about spacers :lol:, who can point me in the direction of ones I should go for that will fit? Slip on cheapo's would be fine for now.

Maybe something like these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-5mm-Hubcentric-Bore-wheel-spacers-fits-Alfa-164-GTV-156-147-GT-GTA-5x98-pcd-/191038749870?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&fits=Car+Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:GTV&hash=item2c7acbfcae

Should I use my current bolts with 5mm spacers or 10mm and extended bolts?

no thats the NJOYWASH i think lol
THE best jetwash I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I did consider that. But its got five 12mm bolts which you would never shear. There are many other vehicles that don't have a hub and use bolts or studs to hold the wheel in place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts