Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Get it done. The handling and ride improvements are just a bonus.

Without exception, every car looks better when its dropped an inch or 2.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
What Prof said - ive just had a Koni Sport sus kit fitted and he diffrence over standard set up is like chalk and cheese but that is spring and shocks but i imagine springs will work ok too but you might as well have it all done together saves money/time later :cool:

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
How low are you thinking of going?

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
How low are you thinking of going?
Exactly.
Go too low and you get terrible ride and poor handling too (but you will try to fool yourself into thinking otherwise).

Highly recommended are the Eibach ProKit springs, which are -30mm.
Very good.

There was someone on here in Aus a few years ago with a 147 lowered so much it was pulling the driveshafts out... not a good idea :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't forget that the wheel camber changes with lowering the front suspension. The lower you go, the more agressive will be the premature wear on the insides of the front tires.

·
Vendor
45,289 Posts
I was running on coilovers with a 65mm drop on the front and 50mm drop on the rear and tyre wear was acceptable. Got about 9k miles on a set of Kumho Ecsta KU31s, driven hard most of the time. Negative camber was visible and it did understeer quite badly in the wet, but it did corner like an absolute train in the dry on nice smooth roads. No good on most of the roads I drive though, so they were taken off.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My coilovers were previously dropped 50mm and it did give the front wheels pronounced negative camber. Cornering was amazing but the ride was too hard and the undertray kept scraping on bumps. I've now reset the shocks to a 30mm drop and it's much more civilized with just a touch more body roll in corners.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i was planning to do a drop mainly for aesthetic reasons with the supersport suspension kit, but gathering from feedback on here, it may actually worsen the ride quality!
So currently looking to return the supersport kit & pay a bit more for koni dampers (just sports not fsd's) and eibach springs

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I got eibach pro kit on my 155. Def the way to go for sure

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Vorsprung Durch Technik. Er'm At the front with technology,.... good enough translation?
Second Er'm, .... it's the springs and anti-roll bars that Eibach produce I was referring to, not the multi-ringed machine! :D Although they aren't bad either? :lol:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi and thanks for your coments i am thinking of a 30 - 35 mm drop , would love to go the whole nine yards and get the shocks done as well but money is very tight at the moment

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Ah .... lower springs on standard shocks is not a good idea. Especially that low ... 30-35mm springs will mean new shocks to match or the standard ones could bottom out ... ie they squash too much and don't travel any further.

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Just recently had a kw suspension kit and lower wishbones/powerflex bushes added to me car. A million times better it is now. Handles loads better, looks loads better as it is a bit lower too :cool:

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Don't forget that the wheel camber changes with lowering the front suspension. The lower you go, the more agressive will be the premature wear on the insides of the front tires.
The camber on double wishbone suspension (like on the front of a 156, 147 or GT) hardly changes as the wheel moves in relation to the car, due to the way the upper and lower parts are held by the wishbones.

That is it's main advantage, and it helps keep more of the tyre in contact with the road more of the time.

The rear of the 156 will suffer though due to it being Macpherson struts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts