·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
In my opinion the best springs for the job are the Eibach prokit springs. The drop is 20mm, give an excellent and assured ride, and they are coloured red.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much are they and where can I buy them? Is 20mm enough to make an impact? The two kits I posted lower it by 30mm.

I don't know _anything_ about this...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
If you lower your car by 20mm is there anything else that will need to be adjusted? Or is a case of just fitting the springs/dampers and tracking.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Certainly check the tracking. Not much else you can do as the camber on these cars is non-adjustable. The 20mm drop looks perfect without affecting the camber profile too much. Plus the eibach springs really are the best you can buy - as other folks will testify.

·
Registered
49 Posts
my experience.. the passive rear wheel steer "feel" was gone when i fitted Eibach prokit on my GTV.. not many info on this in the web so not sure this is 100% true..

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my experience.. the passive rear wheel steer "feel" was gone when i fitted Eibach prokit on my GTV.. not many info on this in the web so not sure this is 100% true..
So is that good or bad? I lowering not recommended?

·
Registered
49 Posts
it depends.. i prefer the "feel" with stock spring where the rear slide out a bit, just a bit, to tighten the line during cornering..

but gtv look really very good when lowered + 17" teledial :cool:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I've got the eibach pro-kit (-20mm) springs on my V6 and think the look is just right, however the TS supension is not as low as the V6's as standard so I recon, for looks 40mm is best, but as a comprimise to accomodate camber change at the back perhaps 30mm

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great, thanks for the advice Phil. Any chance I could see a pic of your car? Would love to see a lowered Spider/GTV with 17" Teledials.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd think very carefully about changing spring rates or ride height on a Spider. My GTV has a shocking ride as it is and the Spider has (even) less torsional stiffness. If you only frequent mill ponds go ahead but no British road of my recent acquaintance qualifies!

·
Registered
945 Posts
If you take off the rear wheels, you can clearly see through the geometry of the suspension how the rear wheels steer (turn outwards) as the suspension loads up. It makes sense that you would loose some rear wheel steer if you lower or stiffen the suspension as either way you're reducing the amount of movement and therefore reducing the amount of steer.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'd think very carefully about changing spring rates or ride height on a Spider. My GTV has a shocking ride as it is and the Spider has (even) less torsional stiffness. If you only frequent mill ponds go ahead but no British road of my recent acquaintance qualifies!
My TS Spider has the eibach springs with 20mm drop and I have no problems with the quality of the ride as you suggest: rather the ride is infinitely superior to what it was before. The 'scuttle shake' that most people talk about is rather overdone imho. Only on very poor surfaces do you notice that you're driving a convertible, but that would apply to virtually all soft-tops in any case.

Please also bear in mind that replacing the dampers with either Koni Sports adjustables or Bilsteins is very important if you want to lower your car. The standard OE Alfa dampers leave a great deal to be desired. I have my Konis on the softest setting and this works extremely well with the Eibach springs. On the GTV with its admittedly more rigid chassis it would be even better.

Lastly the potential 'loss' of rear passive steering as KampungBoy mentions. I don't think lowering the car by 20mm will affect this - it certainly doesn't appear to on my Spider. However there is some evidence to suggest from Forum members that potential loss may occur if you fit the powerflex bushes to the rear suspension, particularly to the springpan arm bushes. Again I have not experienced this but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

In short, drop your Spider/GTV by 20mm with the Eibachs and it will look superb and handle well, without being too 'chavvy'. But do uprate the shocks as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's a pic of mine - 20mm isn't a lot really, but is good as there's no worries about tyre clearance and all that.
Beautiful car, love the Italian flag on the side there.

My TS Spider has the eibach springs with 20mm drop and I have no problems with the quality of the ride as you suggest: rather the ride is infinitely superior to what it was before. The 'scuttle shake' that most people talk about is rather overdone imho. Only on very poor surfaces do you notice that you're driving a convertible, but that would apply to virtually all soft-tops in any case.

Please also bear in mind that replacing the dampers with either Koni Sports adjustables or Bilsteins is very important if you want to lower your car. The standard OE Alfa dampers leave a great deal to be desired. I have my Konis on the softest setting and this works extremely well with the Eibach springs. On the GTV with its admittedly more rigid chassis it would be even better.

Lastly the potential 'loss' of rear passive steering as KampungBoy mentions. I don't think lowering the car by 20mm will affect this - it certainly doesn't appear to on my Spider. However there is some evidence to suggest from Forum members that potential loss may occur if you fit the powerflex bushes to the rear suspension, particularly to the springpan arm bushes. Again I have not experienced this but it wouldn't surprise me if it's true.

In short, drop your Spider/GTV by 20mm with the Eibachs and it will look superb and handle well, without being too 'chavvy'. But do uprate the shocks as well. Good luck.

Great, that's some very useful information indeed. However, as the TS sits higher than the V6, would you recommend I dropped it by more than 20mm? On the other hand, I don't want it to look overly low, I'm looking for more of a subtle effect than most. I'd like to affect the poise of the car, rather than show it's obviously been lowered.

However, I am getting the entire car Powerflexed soon as my rear subframe has become massively worn and I now have a great deal of negative camber on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My TS Spider has the eibach springs with 20mm drop and I have no problems with the quality of the ride as you suggest: rather the ride is infinitely superior to what it was before. The 'scuttle shake' that most people talk about is rather overdone imho.

What he said!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts