Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am thinking of lowering my 2.0TS GTV and I was hoping I could find some advice about what else would need to be done. My last car was an MR2 that I had lowered just with springs 40mm and I loved the handling and looks afterwards, and the standard shocks performed fine, so was thinking of doing similar to the GTV.

Can anyone tell me what else I would need to get done suspension-wise after its lowered? Would the camber or anything like that need changing or is it even possible? My MR2 was adjustable as standard so just gave it to Toyota and they sorted it all out after the springs were on which made a lot of difference.

I only have the standard 16" alloys on but would still like the tyres to last a reasonable amount of time!
Thanks for your help. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Hi,

I am thinking of lowering my 2.0TS GTV and I was hoping I could find some advice about what else would need to be done. My last car was an MR2 that I had lowered just with springs 40mm and I loved the handling and looks afterwards, and the standard shocks performed fine, so was thinking of doing similar to the GTV.

Can anyone tell me what else I would need to get done suspension-wise after its lowered? Would the camber or anything like that need changing or is it even possible? My MR2 was adjustable as standard so just gave it to Toyota and they sorted it all out after the springs were on which made a lot of difference.

I only have the standard 16" alloys on but would still like the tyres to last a reasonable amount of time!
Thanks for your help. :)
Personally i would recommend changing the shocks as the standard ones are....excuse the pun....shocking....

whilst you have it all apart you only then have to do the job once....

Also, don't go too low, the undertray and sump hang a bit low on the GTV/Spider and are likely targets for speedhumps :thumbs:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case, just was trying to avoid getting shocks aswell purely down to the cost. I read somewhere on here that a set of Bilsteins was £650! Then going to be looking at another £200 for fitting and adjusting.
Can I ask what you have done on your car? And do you think the improvements were worthwhile?
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea Im sure they are. Think I would consider it if I had a newer one or a nice V6, but only paid £2000 for the car so kind of apprehensive about forking out that much if you see my point.

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that. I thought that might be the case, just was trying to avoid getting shocks aswell purely down to the cost. I read somewhere on here that a set of Bilsteins was £650! Then going to be looking at another £200 for fitting and adjusting.
Can I ask what you have done on your car? And do you think the improvements were worthwhile?
Thanks
On my current spider nothing, but that is becuse the previous owner had just spent out £200 on standard shock all round, i am waiting for them to wear out before replacing them with a set of quality branded ones, as of yet i am undecided.

My GTV that i had before was lowered -20mm with the standard GTV wheels on it and that was fine, i fell lucky and got a set of secondhand bilstiens that noly had a couple of thousand miles on them, that alone with a powerflexed back suspension and a strut brace really made the car handle well and retained a fair degree of comfort...

are they worthwhile? TBH only if you are looking to keep the car for a while as the suspension is a fair wedge of money to lay out, but once fitted yes it was worth it

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I lowered mine by 20mm, just the springs on standard shocks, its fantastic.
BUT only if the road is totally smooth, otherwise the standard shocks simply cant cope:eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

Mine is on lowered Alfa springs and there is a fair bit of -ve camber at the back. In fact I am taking them off and putting standard rear ones on this weekend. Yours for £25 + pp if you are interested. Assuning I do in fact get them off!

Berni

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Eibach springs and shockers always get a thumbs up on this site.
They are good value for money, and won't empy your wallet as much as koni or billies.

I fitted them to my 156 last week and they are better then I hoped. I picked mine up used of ebay with low miles. Good ride, corners well without shaking out your fillings.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I would think about a set of Koni FSD, if they are available, as they are "self adusting' to road conditions. NB I have Koni Sport adjustables on my 147 and they are very good as well but from what I have been hearing not as good as the FSD. Bilstein and the Koni sport adjustables are supposedly comparable.

This is the comment by someone (KrisW not sure if they post on AO but I am sure they won't mind ;) )on italiaspeed forum who has them fitted to his 147.

"Okay, as mentioned previously, my 147 now has a set of Koni FSD shocks on it. The reason for doing this was that I find myself driving far longer distances than I did previously, and the standard suspension is a bit harsh for these journeys -- especially over rough road surfaces.

First impressions were that the FSDs were way too hard - harder than the shocks I’d had taken off, in fact. Driving out of the garage, I could feel every bump on the road. However, with a bit more speed, it was as if the road became smoother, and at motorway speeds the ride was amazingly good.

Describing the setup is difficult - the roadholding makes you think it’s hard sprung, and so you almost expect to feel the bumps in the road, but they’re not there: in fact there’s none of the juddering you get with hard suspension setups at all. At very low speeds (<30km/h) some of this lumpiness comes back, but no worse than the stock suspension dampers, and at normal driving speeds it’s gone.

So, €650 for the set of four dampers, and €250 for fitting (my insurance company insisted on a main-dealer fitting). Is it worth it?

Short answer for me is yes. The new dampers bring the ride to the level of the 159, but with better handling. Considering the costs of trading up, even at the bones of €1k, it was worth doing, for me."
I also found this..on a BMW but.....

KONI FSD Dampers Improve Handling Without the Traditional Sacrifice in Ride Quality

and

Charts

D

·
0 Posts
20mm seems to be the best drop without changing the shocks, i am looking at going down that route, having the rear poly propped at the same time, i wanna change the shocks but that will put me over a grand for the work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i used to replace the spring of my 96 GTV TS with pro-kit 20mm lowering spring.. with stock dampers.. i find less passive rear wheel steer after that.. less fun for me.. so i changed back to original springs..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts