Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Finally had my mito lowered yesterday. My friend's father is a classic alfa race prep mechanic so it was rather funny to see a modern alfa in his garage for a change. My friend did all the work for me and said that the springs need to bed in before it reaches it true ride height. The springs i used were Apex 35mm lowering springs, they don't make the mito look obviously lowered so it looks slammed but it is noticeable.

The springs are very good and have improved the handling of the car in general, no body roll any more and is alot flatter and stiffer. However, ride comfort does not mean anything to me but for those of you that care about ride comfort, i would not recommend you lowering your car, the poor ride comfort is even worse when lowered.

Finally if you plan to get your car lowered purchase the top suspension mounts so they can be changed. As many of you know they are a very weak part on the mitos. This is because moisture and water gets in there which corrodes the bearing cups making them grind.

Let me know what you think.

1st Picture - Previous ride height
2nd Picture - New Ride Hieght
3rd Picture - Suspension top bearing mounts opened, showing what a state they look (2 years old)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Let me know what you think.
Are you sure, OK you asked. I guess that it is just a matter of taste really and to be perfectly honest I prefer the original setup and stance of the MiTO (and your before and after shots have confirmed it for me, sorry). Some people equate lower with better, but for me I would rather not compromise the ride quality for look. But like I say there is no accounting for taste, and I wish you all the best with your now lowered MiTO and hope it gives you as much (if not more) joy that is has already given you so far.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure, OK you asked. I guess that it is just a matter of taste really and to be perfectly honest I prefer the original setup and stance of the MiTO (and your before and after shots have confirmed it for me, sorry). Some people equate lower with better, but for me I would rather not compromise the ride quality for look. But like I say there is no accounting for taste, and I wish you all the best with your now lowered MiTO and hope it gives you as much (if not more) joy that is has already given you so far.
Thats fine, i like it for the new look it has given it, i think before it looked to high in the arches and just needed a little drop to fill them out a little, properly doesnt help having small wheels. Wasnt looking for anything too low because the arches would override the wheels and i wouldnt want to have to get spacers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS i'm glad my photos have helped you make up your mind, there isn't enough sharing of pics on this forum as it is :(

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry i menat of the mito, have spent alot of time appreciating others work on other models.

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts
I guess there's not much you can do if people don't want to post pics of their Mitos.

It's also a pity the Image Lounge isn't used more when posting pics as it allows bigger & higher quality pics to be posted &

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's also a pity the Image Lounge isn't used more when posting pics as it allows bigger & higher quality pics to be posted & Tags are also enabled there [/QUOTE]

i think it's mainly because:

1) there is a long (relative) delay in images appearing - they need to be approved
2) there is limited to no discussion largely as a result of point 1)

·
Administrator
87,057 Posts
Approval is required for non Paying Members in the AO Gallery ( It's not really a great place to post pics if you want people to see your pics IMO )

However no approval is required in the Image Galleries & that's where most post pics of their cars/AO Meets etc & there's plenty replies in that section :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Looks better lowered IMO :thumbs:

Also, what DP said about images lounge....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the feedback! The difference in ride height is very suttle, alot of people havent even noticed, havent really checked out the galleries, havent really explored the site that much at all, will check them out tonight

·
Registered
573 Posts
Approval is required for non Paying Members in the AO Gallery ( It's not really a great place to post pics if you want people to see your pics IMO )

However no approval is required in the Image Galleries & that's where most post pics of their cars/AO Meets etc & there's plenty replies in that section
thanks david - been lazy and not had a proper look about really

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Looking good mate :thumbs:
Agree with you on the stability issue, feels so much more planted when lowered..
Even more so with a strut brace fitted.. Love chucking mine around now :thumbs:
(still got the lower one to fit yet)

Ride quality is no worse than before IMHO as it was garbage to begin with :(

As for the Image Gallery, maybe the Mitoisti are not quite so pretentious :confused::lol:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
What's pretentious about using a lounge dedicated to images?

C

·
0 Posts
Looking good mate :thumbs:
Agree with you on the stability issue, feels so much more planted when lowered..
Even more so with a strut brace fitted.. Love chucking mine around now :thumbs:
(still got the lower one to fit yet)
Do you have a petrol MiTo 996? The only strut braces I can find are for the 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Why not close the perceived gap with bigger wheels? thing is approach, break over and departure angles are set for a reason. People study engineering for years to come up with this nonesense. The monocoque for the Mito is indeed the same, outside of pick ups or Landrover defenders and kit cars the Chassis has been extinct for many a year.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
Why not close the perceived gap with bigger wheels? thing is approach, break over and departure angles are set for a reason. People study engineering for years to come up with this nonesense. The monocoque for the Mito is indeed the same, outside of pick ups or Landrover defenders and kit cars the Chassis has been extinct for many a year.
Pffft That's easy for you to say :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts