Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not impressed :( I fitted brand new OEM lower arms 3 years ago and the drivers side balljoint has already failed at only 20'000 miles despite not hitting any potholes ever on that corner.

I have read some conflicting advise on which arms to fit. Many seem to think TRW (I am happy with their upper arms) but i have seen Autolusso recommends Delphi now.

I can get either for around the same price and for much lower than the OEM arms. I know TRW are the OEM (£60 from Buycarparts.co.uk). Which should I get? I am leaning towards the Delphi (£65 from Mister Auto).

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I just fitted TRW arms and the difference is noticable ... but no idea why they now recommend the delphi items over the trw.. maybe worth ringing Ned and getting an explanation

·
Vendor
46,717 Posts
I just fitted TRW arms and the difference is noticable ... but no idea why they now recommend the delphi items over the trw.. maybe worth ringing Ned and getting an explanation
News to me, my shelves are still full of TRW. I'm not going to say TRW are without problems, but they certainly do have less problems than any other brand of wishbone I've ever tried.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wish there was a company that redesigned them and offered a suitable aftermarket replacement. I think there would be a good market for them, the v6, gtas and diesels could do with beefier bushes, the arm itself is made out of cast iron and is incredibly heavy, also with a detachable bolt off balljoint section from the wishbone to ease fitting and maintenance. If just a alloy arm was designed and suitable subframe clamps, there might be off the shelf bushes and balljoints that can be used?

·
Vendor
46,717 Posts
That was 6 years ago, I was still working there then Delphi seemed OK, I can't remember the details but I know Bedfordshire also switched to using TRW at some point after I opened the Penrith branch. I've been using TRW since I opened up in 2014, never felt the need to try other brands although I have seen some failures after low use. But that has seemingly always been the way with 156/147/GT suspension parts, whatever the brand fitted.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I might try Delphi. I fitted a full set to my old 147 back in the day and, Although i didn't really rate the upper arms (the ball joint wore right out), the lowers lasted the duration I had the car. I don't fancy taking a gamble on the off chance I might get another dodgy TRW again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anyone tried the ATP brand lower and upper wishbones?

These I bought from
A German company through eBay and haven’t fitted yet.

I did do some research and on other car forums such as BMW and fiat said they have been trouble free and of reasonable quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts