Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My sw has been suffering from the dreaded creaking suspension for about 12 months, and have managed to put off changing the upper wishbones with wd40!. Have now changed them, but a creak has remained on the drivers side. It is worse when cold, and disappears when driven in the rain for a day, only to return. The lower arm ball joint has a hole in it, so this seems to me to be the source of the creaking. However, do you have to remove the 10mm hex nut to replace the lower arm, as this has seized completely, and has stripped the inside clean. If it has to come off, how do I remove it in the condition it is in. Anybody else experienced this and got over it? Any advice would be appreciated, as the mot is due before the end of Jan, and I can't afford to pay the garage to do the work for me!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hi,

I assume you are talking about the allen/hex nut that attaches the fork to the bottom of the strut? I managed to change the lower WB on mine leaving this fork in place, though in hindsight this was more awkward to do as the hex nut came off easily enough later (when I was doing another job). So it is possible to leave it there and replace the WB.

Otherwise you might try using a vicegrips or similar tool to hold the hex while you loosen the nut on the other end of the bolt. To get a good hold on the hex you could try filing it down a little to create "flats" for the vicegrip to hold onto. Plenty of WD40 is advisable! Someone else might has better advice on this aspect..

Good luck.
Gav

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
If you need something to penetrate and lubricate to ease undoing, don't bother with WD40.
WD40 is just an average water disperser with a good PR agent!

Plusgas is what you should be looking for.

·
Registered
581 Posts
And one more thing - I don't know exactly how strict the MOT is but would a squeak or creak on its own would constitute an MOT failure? If there isn't yet excessive play or wear in the joint? Might be worth putting it though and see if it would pass..if it ain't broke and all that..

However, if the boot has cracked the ball joint is probably gone dry so will wear out quickly anyway. You could try putting some grease in the joint to help prolong its life, but it's probably just delaying the enevitable at this stage..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Might try and get it off, but not for too long. Will then try without removing it. The rubber has split in two places. Would have left it to get it through the MOT, but the trouble is, the creak is so loud that people actually trun to look as you drive past. The missus has taken to driving my daughter's Ka instead, it's THAT bad!! Was thinking maybe could weld a new stud onto the old one? Has worked in the past. Hmmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts