Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was in my friend's Mk3 GTV and realized I was sitting much lower than I am in my Mk2 Spider. I double checked with another Mk2 Spider and the feeling was the same.
Has anybody here noticed same difference? Is there any difference between GTV and Spider, or maybe between Mk2 and Mk3 interiors (seats)?
Anyway, is there anything i can do to lower the Mk2 Spider seats? Has anyone here done it? I really liked the feeling in that GTV..

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
My Spider (phase 2) has spacers (approx. 2cm) between the rails and the seats, and I'm thinking I might try to remove them, maybe only the ones at the back so as to tilt the seat base and get more support under the legs.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My Spider (phase 2) has spacers (approx. 2cm) between the rails and the seats, and I'm thinking I might try to remove them, maybe only the ones at the back so as to tilt the seat base and get more support under the legs.

-Alex
I took mine out, they are indeed 20mm, worth doing, there is a thread on here with photos that describes the process well.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
20mm:eek:
The GTV's are 10mm but I also removed them.
Fitting a PH1 seat insert also lowers the sitting position by +/-10mm and increases the side support through corners.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I did it to the drivers seat as I am 6'3" it made a big difference just remove the spacers I did not read the thread but found it fiddly but quite easy I left Mrs jamesys seat the same as she is a bit of a shortarse:lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a look today, 20mm spacers indeed. think i'll also be removing them first day i get a chance. lower the better in my view.

·
Registered
Giulia Super Sprint, GTV V6
638 Posts
The difference should be in the padding. P2 seats are the same as P1, but the padding on the seating bit is larger... Again, looks over function :lol:
P3 has similar seats as P1 so you sit deeper in them.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
The difference should be in the padding. P2 seats are the same as P1, but the padding on the seating bit is larger... Again, looks over function :lol:
P3 has similar seats as P1 so you sit deeper in them.
Thanks for the link :)

"ve been added inside the new Alfa Spider and Alfa GTV, beginning with a lower driver seating level in relation to the ground (H point) for improved driving comfort."

So, umm, they left out the spacers, then...? :lol:

-Alex
I also was 'interested' in reading the testers' remarks re seat height as I too think it's all in the padding & stitching rather than actual seat frame or spacers.

Anyone got a P3 seat out at the moment to check?

I've got P1, P2 & P2 electric seats out but unfortunately no P3s.

Clive

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thanks Clive,
Inspired by the other thread as well, I decided my Sunday evening would be best spent modifying my driver's seat.

Immediately upon removing the seat, I was rewarded by $3.50 (useful) and 50 yen (not so useful) in coins found under the rails :lol:

I had connectors underneath for the seatbelt buckles (seatbelt-fastened switch) as well as the plug on the pretensioner (I didn't bother disconnecting the battery as it takes so long making the equaliser settings/demo mode off/red not blue etc. on the stereo, more exciting to risk an explosion in a pipe bomb instead.)

The centre upholstery was easy to remove. The sides were then also easy (hint to anyone about to do this: don't bother trying to unclip the outer edges of the side bolsters underneath - just release the rods on the inside of the bolsters) and I removed the two pairs of rear spacers.

As an experiment I tried sitting on the metal seat base with no centre padding and it felt good! The seat back was appropriate and the side bolsters (on the base) were a good fit for me. So the next idea is to take a bread knife to the underside of the foam (which is in perfect condition, but obviously much thicker than it needs to be).

On the one hand I don't want to damage the originality, but on the other hand it seems sensible to make the seat a better fit for me.

-Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts