Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
good morning all, again, :)

i was just wondering, does much go wrong with the lower resonator and the main air duct into the filter box,?

ive bought the proper filter and a new maf, (not yet in) checked the induction pipe, theres no splits or leaks,

but before i go installing the new air filter and maf, i thought it a good idea to maybe have a look at the lower resonator box, and see if the air duct is in good order, not blocked up or moved out of alignment,

with these mafs being so sensitive to changes in the air volume and quality its worth making sure everything it is ok aswell,

but before i go start ripping the bumper off and kind of guestimating, i thought it a good idea to get some pointers from the guys experienced in this.

thanks again in advance guys

dyls1968

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
updat update

just out again, took the air induction, maf, and filter box out, checked out the duct, once i found it, it was wiggly as anything, followed it back,

all this taking about 15 mins, first time ive dealth with air ducts, and i never even knew what a resonator was let alone it had one till a couple of days ago,

the resonator was out of the air ducting tube, not joined at all, loose, swinging about like tarzan, so i had a look, and a think about how to get at it, took off the window washer bottle, got in through there, fitted it all together, now its a tight fit, not moving an inch, gonna give it a hoover from the filterbox end inside the engine bay, make sure theres no **** in it.

gotta sort the filter box lid now, one of the bolts snapped off leaving it too short to get a nut on it, gonna drill it out, fix in another bolt n nut, put in the correct filter for it, not the ts filter i found in it, not the chinese maf i also found in it, but the real mccoy, bosch product.

and then cross my fingers and hope thats it, i think theres obviously been a lot of rubbish gotten into the motor through the hole where the resonator should have been, that got passed through the filter as it was too short and just smaller, may as well not have put it in there for all the use it was doing,

what a shame, this cars had the wrong owner before me, tried to do it on the cheap and nasty, not even caring, or probably just ignorant of the fact its a thoroughbred, i just hope its not too late and the engines not damaged.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! i almost give up, its worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only thing i can think of is i ts the wrong filter, its a proper alfa romeo filter from the alfa shop AR 348/2, the air duct is put together like it should be, new maf

im at a total loss

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Reset the ECU. If the tubing has been wrong/damaged for so long then the self learning parameters will be all over the place. Disconnect the battery and leave it for half an hour. When you reconnect the ECU will be back to defaults and the self learning will restart.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Reset the ECU. If the tubing has been wrong/damaged for so long then the self learning parameters will be all over the place. Disconnect the battery and leave it for half an hour. When you reconnect the ECU will be back to defaults and the self learning will restart.
Self learning parameters makes the ECU sound like the Terminator. :lol:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ransoman, ill do that in the next 10 minutes, i put it on the multiecuscan, ive got the full package, but ive noticed it only gves the 0 errors, not the p error codes, 0 is the general code while p is the more detailed error code i beleive.

anyway, it of course read the maf and temp sensor, those been changed, it also read the knock sensor 2 and the post cat lambda sensor, i cleared the error codes, took her for a spin, it was a bit better, lacking in power and still missing a bit,

before the error clear it was reading 35 kg of air going in, after it was 25kg

the lambda sensor error code was still there but not the knock sensor, there is a leak in the exhaust manifold where it meets the engine, ill get that sorted.

thankyou ransoman, brighthouse, ill do that now, just had to leave it for a while, walk away and get it off my mind for a while :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, took it for a wee run again, then did the diagnostics, said the lambda sensor was in error and failure, tried clearing it, but it woudnt clear, so i guess that manifold leak is having an effect on it, i think ill give it one more bash, ill get the manifold leak sorted then take it from there, if it doesnt fix the miss and bad performance im going to sell it or wreck it

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
How old is your Lambda?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts