Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon guys - having some bother with the lower pulley on my 2002 1.8....4 ribes are out but it doesn't look like the pulley can come off past the central bolt? I'm well confused and kinda stuck :confused:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It will, the face of the pulley is just stuck to the shaft it bolts onto. The big centre bolt does not need to be touched.

I hestitate to say a series of whacks on the edges of the pulley are needed, as you may damage the pulley. I got mine off this way, however I used a large rubber mallet.

It will come off though, persevere with it.

All the best

pub

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but how does the big bolt in the picture above pass through the pulley?? There is no groove and the big bolt looks like it's bolted down to the same face that the 4 torx bits were bolted down to.....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It does look like it, but trust me, there's a big hole in the centre of the pulley that passes (snugly) over the bolt.

Hit it as mentioned above, with either a rubber mallet or rest a piece of wood on the pulley and whack it with a big hammer. You need to break the rusty surfaces that have mated togther.

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I first tried to remove the pulley I thought big bolt had to come off too. I broke a snap on breaker bar trying.
Didnt know it was reverse threaded :eek:

You might be interested in my high tech aux belt tensioner tool. Works a treat :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
When I first tried to remove the pulley I thought big bolt had to come off too. I broke a snap on breaker bar trying.
Didnt know it was reverse threaded
when I did that on my Thema, I snapped the bolt.:eek:

The bolts must have been toughened up since......:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts