Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The standard tyres on the 19" Ti wheels are a bit chunky in my opinion

Has anyone fitted lower profile tyres? I know this will increase road noise and the likelyhood of crippling the car thanks to the lack of effort from the local council fixing the roads, and also scraping over speedbumps even more :( but just wanted to know if anyone has done it and what they went for?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not done it myself, but what size are you thinking of going to?
Not really sure. The standards are 40 profile aren't they?

I've had 235/30/19 on my Audi before which looked like this

So maybe a 35 profile? The 40's are just a bit chunk for my liking

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've been running 255/35/19's all round for the last 8 months with no issues whatsoever.
A good comprimise for me between extortionate conti/pirrelli replacements and my reservations over using budget tyres. theres a wide range of tyres available in that size at the correct load rating from the likes of Avon/Dunlop/Fulda/Kumho/Falken/Barum.

Personally went fo the Barum Bravuris 2 (manufactured by Continental). I can't say i have noticed any discernable drop in performance over the Conti 3's previously fitted, turn in and cornering grip as good if not better than before (possibly due to the wider tread) and the all important and much debated wet grip (search forum for Accellera) is excellent.

Tyres to tend to be an emotive subject and I dont doubt I will get flamed for doubting Acceleras and the like, but it is just my opinion and I'll admit to never having tried them... but i wouldn't.

Barum Bravuris 2 | the Barum Bravuris 2 reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide
Barum -Bravuris 2

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that :) i've always like Falken tyres, found them to be an awesome compromise between grip, tread life and of course price

Any pics of your 35 tyres? Would be nice to see the comparison in side wall size

·
Registered
178 Posts
Chaps, I thought 235/35/19's are the standard size for Ti wheels? There's no way I'd go to a 30 profile in this country, the thought of denting/buckling the wheels on a pothole is enough to discourage me. I may try the 40's though as a bit more compliance/cushioning wouldn't go amiss!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
yes 255 will give closer speedo/load rating options to alfa spec too, I have 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on and the profile looks like this::)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just working it out, 235/40 and 255/35 would be pretty much the same side wall size...
No Photo's to hand but they deffinately seem to fit better and no issues with the ride (like you say the wall height is similar)... i always thought that the 235's were a bit stretched and didn't protect the rim that well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No Photo's to hand but they deffinately seem to fit better and no issues with the ride (like you say the wall height is similar)... i always thought that the 235's were a bit stretched and didn't protect the rim that well.

Are there any issues with regards to steering lock and clearances when you go 255? Also what sort of prices/brands (I'm being lazy and hope you may save me having to look)!:thumbs:

plus... What load and speed ratings 96Y?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there Audi RS4 365mm discs, bit of machining needed to fit.
All details are in the tuning lounge on my F1 thread guys
.:thumbs:

255 tyres do clear with no problems with the std 8x19 with 41mm offset wheel. They are a tag on the large side for an 8 inch rim though.:)
Lovely, cheers for that :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts