Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Assuming its parked on level ground it could be worn springs or possibly the spacer at the top of the spring missing on the drivers side, strap is only to stop the axle dropping to far so won't make a difference, has it been like that for some time or suddenly?, need to get it on a pit or stands to have a better look really, nice Vega's BTW

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think there was some discussion on this a few years ago. Some posters suggested all 105s were made like this (my Bertie is). It was even suggested that Alfa did it deliberately so that as the engine was revved aggressively it would try to move in a circular motion. This movement can be seen if you look at the engine while revving it. The angle of the car would help prevent it lifting a wheel under sudden acceleration.
Not sure if I believed this but it made me feel better about the angle of my car.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
It’s odd that the 105 has an offset drive train, if you look the engine gearbox and propshaft are all offset by 25mm towards the right hand side. When balanced with a driver a full fuel tank and the battery all being on the left ( in LHD form), it is probable the cars are evenly balanced. But in RHD form it’s going to be mixed up by the driver.
There is also the deeper front spring pan on the right hand side. All these things will make a difference to the ride height at each side, front and back.

Or it could be just a knackered spring of course.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
iirc, the deeper front spring pan changes sides, depending whether lhd or rhd...to even things up.
It is basically the front springs that set the rear height.
The rear springs you can compress somewhat fairly easily on the garage floor; the fronts are massively strong and don't budge....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts