Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the experinces for replacing the original lower front wishbone rubbers by Powerflex?

Is it worth the extra money and what is the advantage, and possible disadvantage? The original ones are to be replaced and I'm looking for input and advice. In general I'm aiming to keep my 147 GTA as original as possible, but with some parts on the car I'm willing to consider improvement towards original items if it does not change the look and appearance of the GTA.

I know from my 105 series Alfa the powerflex in the rear suspension transfers more vibrations into the car.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You will get more noise & vibration. Or at least I did on my Brera when I fitted a rear PF bush to the lower arm. I didn't notice any improvement in steering, grip or handling and wouldn't have bothered if a previous owner had not fitted one to the left hand arm but not the right.

Waste of money for road cars imho.

·
Vendor
46,569 Posts
Absolutely not a good idea for a 156/147/GT in my opinion. These bushes are already very small and don't allow much movement except when worn. When worn, replace the complete wishbone. Increasing the stiffness of these bushes does little for handling/grip but does significantly degrade ride quality.

On a 159/Brera replacing the front lower wishbone rear bushes only with Powerflex helps to make them steer a bit more like an Alfa should and in my opinion makes little difference to NVH (the bush itself is massive so even PU can do a decent job of soaking up vibrations). The baggy factory bushes are just like what is found on an Insignia and seem to be a hangover from GM's co-development of the platform. They have far too much movement and it makes the steering feel imprecise although it gives a supple ride over soft roads. Never before have Alfa used this style of bushing and thankfully they haven't since. So on this model, I'd be all for Powerflexing the bushes but on a GTA, no.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. From what I've read I will go for replacement with original.
Eventhough the car has only 35.000km on it the bushes are not that fresh anymore. Might be caused by the fact the weight of the front and forces on the bushes due to braking and the Busso power has it effect. :glasses:

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
What Pud said.

Standard lower arms, preferably TRW but Birth are OK.
You can poly the upper arms with good results, but they are prone to squeaking.
The poly rear lower bush on the 159 is an excellent upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts