Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 2nd time we are having issues with the dogbone/gearbox mount on our G.

It is a rubbish design, the hole inside the large end which fits into the subframe is larger than the bolt which goes through it and the mount relies on the clamping force of that bolt to stop the mount moving around.

For the 2nd time now we are getting problems with the bolt either stretching or the subframe distorting which has resulted on the mount moving around and the exhaust or something hitting the subframe whilst pulling away or changing gear.

I am thinking of machining up a bush to take up the slack between the bolt and the hole in the subframe.

I don't suppose anyone has the size of the hole at the large end and the size of the bolt? I think the bolt is M14 but I am not 100% sure...

Many thanks. :)

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did see the thread, and it did mention making a bush to go inside but there was no mention of sizes.

I have access to a lathe at work so making one will be no issue once I know how big it needs to be.

I am surprised there are not more problems with them, as quite frankly it's a rubbish design.

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No mate, due to time constraints and other issues with the car I tightened the bolt up further and it has been ok since.

I will get around to it eventually I am sure.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I will get around to it eventually I am sure.
The race is on to see who gets this done first:cool:

Bazzbazz
Not really, the issue is that the bolt is smaller than the metal insert.
The Powerflex helps as a bushing, but the metal insert is untouched.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Or does this description add the needed sleeve to fill the space between insert and bolt.
Our polyurethane insert kit ships with a bolt spacing sleeve made using our Shore A 95 Black material to take up the excessive tolerance on the bore of the original mount to further reduce engine movement under load.

I must have read this dozens of times and not understood!!!

Thank You, bazzbazz!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just installed the powerflex bush on the weekend.
Good price on amazon

i see what you mean about the amount of slack in fitment. Far to much free play.
But with the yellow insert around the rubber and the black insert for the bolt (which required tapping through with a mallet) im hopefully this will take care of the problems your having.

Havent yet had a chance to take it for a test drive but tomorrow is the day for that. so can report back

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am personally not a fan of poly engine bushes. I have tried them before and you get a huge increase in NVH but no other real benefit. On a track car they would be ok, but on a road car they would soon get annoying.

·
Registered
975 Posts
You could just use the black insert. Quicker and cheaper than to dismantle, measure, re-assemble, have bolt fabricated, dismantle, install bolt, and re-assemble.....

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There isn't much wrong with the mount other then the hole in it being considerably larger than the bolt diameter.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Possible cheaper than the whole kit, but find a mechanic who could turn up a sleeve from something like delrin on a lathe.
Wouldnt take long at all.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yes, but.....
Considering that auto shops are not metal shops,
your car mechanic would have to undo the mount and measure the hole and the bolt.
Close everything up.
The metal worker woul take the measurements and mill the part; and get to you.
Then you can go back to the car mechanic and have it installed.

But maybe where you live, things are easier.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts