Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just a quick question that has probably been answered a million times: how easy is it do fix lower arm bushes and where are they and do i need any special tools to do it.
thanks, craig.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Presume you mean the front? If so, they are dead easy and the only "special" tool would be a ball joint splitter, about a tenner from anywhere.

There was a thread about this very recently....

....and welcome :D :D :D

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Wrinx.sorry yes it was the front.is it best to get the whole arm or just the bushes?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opinion is a little divided on this as you don't get new balljoints when just replacing the bushes. Prices are about the same for new wishbones or Powerlfex bushes (about £100 for both sides). They are not available from Alfa as a seperate part.

I would suggest it depends on the mileage the wishbones have covered.

Just replaced the whole wishbones on my V6 at 60k, next time they go I'll do just the Powerflex bushes as they are "uprated".

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi wrinx, poweralfa sell lower wishbone "complete" will this mean with bushes attached or not?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry i ask so many questions but the reason is the car just failed its mot and i need to get it done asap but as cheaply as possible. so if it is complete it should be just a case of bolting it on?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
yep ! you may as well do your anti roll bar drop links at the same time as they bolt through the wishbone they are not hard to do and cost about £8 each with new bushes so you dont have to mess with em in the future , one of mine failed when i tightened them and i drove on it for a few days it took me 5 hrs to get that one off the other side took 10 mins (i had no gas to heat it with) i think driving on it broke made it get stuck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi fletch, so in a nutshell is it just a case of unbolting the wishbone and bolting the new one on?
not being that technically minded.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
sort of mate i did mine on my own on a pair of stands took about 4-5hrs for both some will be laughing now but hey im not a mechanic i too like saving money . you will need a ball joint splitter or you can give it a good crack with a hammer and it will pop open but it never works for me . good luck Craig Fletcher.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi there Fletch:

When you talk about the anti roll bar drop links you mean part n° 7760425 ? :confused:

Thanks in advance
Jorge

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers fletch, wrinx that shortcut you gave only shows the header.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now i dont want to rain on anybodys parade but if you take the MOT inspection manual letter by letter your wishbones need to be 'handing off' before its a fail not just a bit of play in the bushes.

i know this because i failed a car for just that reason only to get spot checked and to be told i shouldnt have failed it. eek!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Gotta agree with you JB i had me collar felt for failing an Astra on the wishbone bush . The bush was completely unbonded and the wishbone was just flopping around on it and the Ministry man said i should of just advised it

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bugger!! Mine was failed for exactly the same, bush fell off when I took the arm off eek!

wrinx

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
if it fell off then it will save you a job when fitting the powerflex jobbies to the twinny!...... wink

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Thats what happened to all four bushes on mine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did make it a lot easier to fit the Powerflex replacements

1 - 20 of 21 Posts