Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, noticed while driving my 156 the water temp stays around 60 - 70 whilst driving along, it will only get to around 90 when stuck in traffic is that wrong?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
sounds like your thermastat has failed open so the engine is running cold all the time. Does it take an abnormally large time to even get to 60?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Your ECU will be running the "cold" program, basically it over fuels the engine to try and get it up to temp quicker (a bit like a choke on an old car) ... so you're likely to get "deposits" ... so yes you need to get it sorted :thumbs:

... oh yes and your MPG will be poor (well by a few MPG's anyway)

M

·
0 Posts
Oh, my 147 does the same, hovers between 70 and 80.
Has done this for as long as I`ve had it (about 2 years) and runs really well. I always had the idea that a lower temperature is better??

·
Registered
119 Posts
same issue with 156 2l 99' it sits at 70'dc and 90 in traffic is it the sensor that is on the right hand side below the maf on the engine it self. i removed it to test the resistor on the fan. thanks.. aslo the engine is ocasonaly hunting for an idle speed i presume this is the maf or lamda sensors any way of checking

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Oh, my 147 does the same, hovers between 70 and 80.
Has done this for as long as I`ve had it (about 2 years) and runs really well. I always had the idea that a lower temperature is better??
Lower temperature does not mean better.
The engine is designed to run at 90degC

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
David C ... could you write a "sticky" thread about this ... as every man and his dog seem to have this problem

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just finished replacing the Thermostat on my 2.0 JTS ..
Used a genuine Alfa part which came with a new sender already installed. :cool: .

The engine was operating in the 50-60 degree range, it now sits on 90 as it should.

One tip for anyone doing this , make sure you have the correct size jubilee clips to replace the truly dreadful factory spring clips before you start. Luckily I had everything I needed and only lost about 2 liters of coolant in the process.

After i buttoned everything back up , i just topped up with fresh coolant and went for a drive , temp was ok , heater was great and the system seems to have self bled any air out. On cooling the tank was a little below the minimum mark so a quick topping off is needed.

I'll keep an eye for a few days to check for leaks or further loss.
Well worth doing .

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In fact the higher the better, its only because of what happens to bits of the engine above certain temps that engines are cooled......

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the update, looks like I need to get a new thermostat.

Phoned the local garage I normally use and got a quote of £180 to sort out. Had a quick look on the internet and a new one is £30. So to save £150 I might have a go myself.

I`ve seen a thread that shows in photos how to do this and its looks easy enough...is it as easy as it looks?

(have long memories of the shredded fingers changing the headlight bulbs)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I boght and had fitted a new thermostat on my GTV 2.0 ltr JTS .......... itgenerally sits just over 80 and goes up just over 90 in slow traffic.......... This time of year there's more cold air on the rad so I'd expect it to drop a little on a run ???

Cheers to all
Peter

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Lower temperature means the oil is thicker, parts are not expanded correctly, coolant is not flowing correctly and your wasteing fuel. This all causes damage to the engine and components in the exhaust, parts will wear quicker as the oils not flowing properly, tolerances are too tight and things could stick (valves in guides etc), should the engine get too hot there would be no reserve of cooler water to flow round the block AND the lambda/s and cat can be blocked by the extra carbon build up.

In all, £50 now will save hunderds in the long run.

M

·
0 Posts
Thanks MPH, looks kinda easy.

Just ordered a new thermostat on line, paying £150 for it to be fitted is just silly.

Saying that, no doubt I`ll be back when I get it wrong ;)

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Should take about an hour taking your time to get everything spot on. £150 is way too much for an hours work:wow:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It must be the Thermostat season. My new 147 GTA could do with one too!

Strange things happen to alfa's when winter comes!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts