Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought 2 containers of washer fluid, ended up using them neat & it's still freezing. The temperature in my area hasn't dropped below -5 or so most of the time, but it's been cold enough that the additive has been starting to freeze in in it's own bottle. (I think one of them my have quoted -4 as it's lowest working temp')

So based on the temp's I've quoted can anyone recommend an alternative or a specific brand? I'm driving 20 miles this afternoon to a city so might be able to buy something.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I bought Halfords premium freeze resistant pink stuff and other than smelling nice it's crap!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Immediately after posting here, I posted the same question on a Mazda mx5 forum.

"me, the missus and my brother have been using the Halfords ready-mixed stuff (the pink one).... hasn't frozen on any of us so far (touch wood)."

2 other answers saying the same!
So is a 156 a bigger problem?
I think the nozzles need to be thawed, which I usually do before setting off, but with the crap stuff I've been using I think the reservoir's freezing up.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Costco do 5l of screen wash, I think its holts but can't remember which used neat will be fine down to -36, I was using the Helfruads stuff, and your right it is rubbish I used their concentrated stuff which is supposed to be ok down to -15 used neat.

The costco stuff is much much better although it costs£5.68 inc VAt so its 68p more than helfruads stuff

N

·
0 Posts
Seemingly lidl are selling stuff thats good for upto -20c if that helps anyone.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Costco do 5l of screen wash, I think its holts but can't remember which used neat will be fine down to -36, I was using the Helfruads stuff, and your right it is rubbish I used their concentrated stuff which is supposed to be ok down to -15 used neat.

The costco stuff is much much better although it costs£5.68 inc VAt so its 68p more than helfruads stuff
i'm using this 50/50 but i still get sporadic non spraying. could the actual nozzles be freezing up?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the guys on the Mazda forum adds meths/methanol to the water. Gets a 25l container & shares it. From DIY stores apparently.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Aye! When on my travels I buy cheap vodka in Russia (80p a bottle) and use that to prevent myself freezing. It's good to use in the windscreen washer too! :D

Basically as the alcohol (usually propanol) evaporates from the screen wash, the strengh and freezing resistance of the fluid deteriorates.

So, use new fluid (not 3 month old stuff) and keep it more concentrated than usual. Don't buy the "ready to use" cobblers. Buy the concentrate and mix it to the degree you require (or use it neat).

The fluid in the nozzles themselves freezes more quickly because a) it's cold and b) it's exposed to the air, so the alcohol evaporates out. Taxis don't have any aggro' because the engine's always running and the washer fluid isn't sitting in the nozzles for even hours, never mind days.

Antifreeze is potentially dodgy for the paint so go easy on it. It's also veeeery toxic so try not to drink it (stick to the cheap vodka). Meths sounds like a goer though... might have to give it a try.

Of course overnight you can wedge a towel over the nozzles.. it will prevent the nozzles freezing in the first place.. though obviously the first time you use them they might freeze up again if your fluid is too feeble.. :) but at least you have a chance..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Tap water for me.

Have used Halfords, car plan and various other Washer fluds which have all frozen.

The water freezes, but at least its free :).

Just to add- Yes I know its probably the moisture in the washers that freezes, not the actual content in the washer reservoir!

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Thanks for eliminating it then!:thumbs:

I wonder what taxi drivers use..?

washing up liquid cos there all tight!:cheese: appologies to taxi drivers. I don't really mean it!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Thanks for eliminating it then!:thumbs:

I wonder what taxi drivers use..?
The taxi drivers near me don't seem to use anything, add to that indicators, seatbelts, lane discipline, manners.............

(Should that have been in the rant room.:cheese:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts