Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

The suspension is quite low on my 156 2.4jtd 20v SW - did the Veloce spec models have lowered suspension as standard?

The undertray catches on some bumpy roads and obviously on speed bumps. My 146Ti has always scraped on speed bumps so I know Alfas are low, but this 156 catches more than the 146 does.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Yes, 156 Veloce suspension is lower than standard.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
About 30mm.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
No where near 30mm.
It was only about 15-20mm.

But the weight of the Diesels and V6 don't help with the front grounding issue...

Weak dampers make it worse too.

Very grey area re the Veloce Sportwagon height as they wern't originally lowered, but some are...!!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The Eibach ProKit springs (which to confuse things even more were available in the official Alfa accessory brochure...) are 30mm lower than std and noticeably lower than any Veloce/Sportpack.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
The Eibach ProKit springs (which to confuse things even more were available in the official Alfa accessory brochure...) are 30mm lower than std and noticeably lower than any Veloce/Sportpack.
That's where I was getting mixed up. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbs:

Just quickly, on a similar topic is the suspension on my GT Cloverleaf Q2 lower than other GTs?

This site says it is;

Alfa GT Cloverleaf

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No where near 30mm.

But the weight of the Diesels and V6 don't help with the front grounding issue...

Very grey area re the Veloce Sportwagon height as they wern't originally lowered, but some are...!!

When you say weak dampers, do you mean worn? Or that they aren't very good to start off with?
Maybe the dampers need replacing I suppose..

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
springs in time lose a bit of ride height but not much but worn dampers dont control spring compression so the rate of compression is not slowed up and if your undertray is sagging it be more pronounced

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys - think I will just be careful with it and see how it goes (it's already had new springs and shocks at the back - previous owner who was my Dad!)

·
Registered
970 Posts
No where near 30mm.

15mm is just about what I need...thanks
I suppose these springs are a bit stiffer too?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts