Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody noticed any difference between non-Low Sulphur and Low-Sulphur petrol? I was actually given the choice at the station the other day and decided on low sulphur, but it got me thinking.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
May be wrong but I thought I saw something the other week about low sulphur petrol being harmful to older engines? Can't remember precisely but it was definitely an article on changes to petrol being introduced that was not good news for older cars. Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick on this.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I think the sulphur interacts with catalytic converters to form various compounds and results ranging from horrid smells (particularly with new cars) to acid rain in Sweden, so reducing the sulphur is a good thing. Can't see how reducing sulphur would be bad for older cars (sulphur was never deliberately added, it's just an impurity). I think that idea may have come about because the opposite is probably true; low-sulphur would give best results in new cars/new catalytic converters.

-Alex

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
May be wrong but I thought I saw something the other week about low sulphur petrol being harmful to older engines? Can't remember precisely but it was definitely an article on changes to petrol being introduced that was not good news for older cars. Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick on this.
Is this what you were referring to? PistonHeads Headlines - Biofuel timebomb

·
Registered
40 Posts
The PH article is about the percentage of ethonol (biofuel in petrol) low sulfur is a different issue, the biofuel issue is pretty serious, I have a 1979 MG Midget and have for some time had a serious problem with the carburetors which a complete rebuild did not cure.

A neighbor who has classic motorbikes gave me an article from Classic bike about the problems of biofuel and that amal carburetors do not like it, the company that manufactures spares for amal and su carbs have produced specila floats and needles that are designed to cope with the problem. I have fitted these to my SUs and so far no problems. The same article however raised a number of other issues mainly concerning the corrosive nature of petrol containing biofuel and this is causing numerous problems with steel petrol tanks.

Note this is all about petrol that is currently sold with up to 5% ethonol, we are soon going to be supplied with fuel containing 10 and 15% ethonol, this is going to cause some serious problems mainly for owners of classic vehicles but it is also likely that more modern cars are going to be seriously affected by this move.

Sorry bit of a rant.

Bob

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would we think the 2001 V6 3.0 is an 'old' engine? Sounds like if there is an option at the wallet releiving station, it is the safe option to not go for the low sulphur option then.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
"Low Sulphur" isn't a problem for the car.
It is just another opportunity for the supplier to charge more!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
"Low Sulphur" isn't a problem for the car.
It is just another opportunity for the supplier to charge more!
Yes, it is my understanding that Low Sulphur is always a good thing.
Biofuel (ethanol) is a totally separate issue and there are good points made in this thread. I think most of my cars have plastic fuel tanks. My Uno doesn't, and I think it would be a good idea to avoid ethanol in cars like that which sit unused for long periods (I fill the tank once a year).

-Alex

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If it will cause problems, maybe some company will produce an expensive additive, as they did when leaded fuel was withdrawn. The EU wants to rid the EU of older cars to save the enviroment, however the energy used to produce a new vehicle is far more than keeping an older car on the road. It's all rubbish, population explosion is far more detrimental to the world than the few older cars on the roads. New cars equate to revenue raising for the useless governments of the EU. Rant over! sorry

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so no worries about using low sulphur then. I actually think its cheaper than 'normal' unleaded though as there is a small tax break and you can see that in the prices where both low sulphur and 'normal' unleaded are sold at the same station.

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Ok so no worries about using low sulphur then. I actually think its cheaper than 'normal' unleaded though as there is a small tax break and you can that in the prices where both low sulphur and 'normal' unleaded are sold at the same station.
:thumbs:

I'll keep an eye out for that.
I expect that gradually it will all be "Low Sulphur" and the price will be back up to same level again!
Same happened with the tax break on E5 Petrol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts