Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I drive a facelift 145, 1.6 ts...

I suspect my stat is gradually failing, after reading a few threads on here. The car is taking longer to heat up and on the motorway it runs at about 70-75 degrees, only reaching the 90 mark when in traffic.

Now I know the stat is a fairly cheap part to replace, question is does it affect the oil temp ( I Know it affects the water temp)? or any other part of the engine? Obviously if so ill get it changed ASAP otherwise I'll leave it till next service...

Cheers in advance all

:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
There is an oil/water heat exchanger, so it will effect oil temperature too.

Simple to change the thermostat, so no point leaving it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In the not so dim and distant past you use to get "summer" and " winter" thermostats. with different opening characteristics. Is that still the case?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
In the not so dim and distant past you use to get "summer" and " winter" thermostats. with different opening characteristics. Is that still the case?
No.

No need.

My engine still sits with the gauge on the "9" of 90 even when it is well below zero outside. Same in the summer. (well, the one or two hot days we get!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
My stat must be sticking, when I stop and let the engine idle for a few minutes my temp gauge slowly drops from about 80 to the seventy mark.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
A dodgy stat will affect oil temperature as cooler coolant means cooler water in the coolant galleries, which means cooler metal and cooler oil on the other side of it.

Ralf S.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts