Sometimes it'll stay fine fer a month....other times it goes down
about twice a week :mad:...it's the inconsistency thats's driving
me up the wall :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...am I losing air from the seams :( :)

...absolutely certain it's NOT a puncture :tut:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Dunno Quin, but I've experianced this myself and as my m8 has a tyre bay I got him to check my tyre out, he couldn't find a puncture or leak at the rim even though he applied a little more air than standard. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
This wont make much sence to your intermittent deflating but are your wheels perfectly round? it may be buckled letting air out, put the wheel in a massive bucket of water and push on the tyre walls and see if bubbles come up, the chance of you having a bucket this big is not great but some tyre places do :D ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usual reason is corrosion of the edge which pushes the bead away from the rim. Do as Jack sez, whip the wheel off, lay it flat and put some soapy water around the edge. If its does show a leak then you'll have to get the tyre take off, wire brush/rub down the edge and tyre resealed.

Shoudln't cost much more than a tenner.

Other than that, it may be a faulty vavle or local kids playin wiv your head :rolleyes:

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get your tyre bay to wire brush/clean the inside of the rims and apply a sealant prior to fitting the tyre.
Some tyre bays don't both cleaning the old sealant from the inside of the rims, this can sometimes cause the problems.
It could also be the valve, you use to be albe to replace the inside of the valve, I don't know whether this is now possible.
Try deflating the tyre (this can blow out any grit trapped in the valve seat) and then re-inflate.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone :)

...actually, the faulty valve idea COULD just be right...a few times
when I've re-inflated the tyre, after I've removed the air-pump, the
valve has stuck and the tyre has started to deflate again so I had
to put the pump back on and remove it to stop it jamming :rolleyes:

...did once get it repaired fer £6.50 in Brum...the bloke said it WAS
leaking air from the rim but he said he'd fixed that...maybe he didn't do
such a good job after all :eek: :)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It could also be a puncture or cut in the tyre ...............which only allows air to escape when the tyre is parked in a certain place and the rubber is flexing :rolleyes: if you get me drift :D

Seen it quite a few times and makes it very intermittent sometimes it goes down sometimes it does`nt :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now THAT is a possibilty :) :)

...but the leak is SO inconsistent that the mardy jammed valve idea
makes more sense

...was shopping at Morrisons recently...I'd just checked the pressures
at their garage and two minutes later...flat as a supermodels chest
(after straying over some rather protruding cats-eyes) :rolleyes:

and u KNOW that feeling...flat tyre...pulls to the road...or opposite
(makes u feel like u have NO suspension and half-steering)... :eek:

...u get it fixed BUT Fecking Hell :mad:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Valve inserts and the fitting tool available from Halfords. Had this problem on the dogs Uno new insert cured it.

phil

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
If you have metal bolt-in valves, check that the valve is still tight. They become unscrewed over time if they're not well-tight.

However, if your core is sticking open when you pump air in, it sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Ralf S.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had this problem on the dogs Uno new insert cured it.
how did they bring this to your attention...presumably they complained it felt a bit "ruff"

sorry, second time today I have reached for my coat... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Actually Ben they 'hounded' me until I fixed it. I just remembered you met the dogs so you know that whatever they say I dare'nt argue with!

Phil

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too many shaggy dog stories on here as it is..... :rolleyes:

..ang on BW, I'll fetch our coats :eek:

wrinz

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good call wrinxy :eek:

by the way Phil, how do u get those dogs into a uno :eek:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Why do you have lower profile tyres on the front?
Does it give you an arse in the air dragster stylee?
:confused:
Anyway, I bet the edges of the rims are dirty/corroded and the tyres aren't seated as well as they could be. Or it could be a dodgy valve.
;)

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts
If only I'd caught this thread earlier so I could make mucky jokes about Quinn's corroded rim. :rolleyes:
If I did it now, I'd just look a bit sad. ;)

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts
Actually I had a tyre losing pressure and got it sorted on Friday (since I didn't want to drive up to the Lake District on it)
It was just a bit of corrosion, they wire brushed the rim down, and applied liberal amounts of rim sealant (fnar fnar) and it seems fine now. Although I have loads of orange gunk all over the alloy now :rolleyes:

Found a nail in my left rear on Sunday now :mad:
Doesn't seem to be deflating though, will take it to the tyre place tonight. Hope it's repairable, I've only had the tyres for a couple of months. It's only about an inch from the sidewall :eek:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ben, they get in through the door of course. Actually the rear seats have been removed so plenty of room for them both.

Phil

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts
Hmm. My own help hasn't helped me very much. The nail appears to be exactly on the borderline.
God knows if they'll repair it or not - I bloody hope so though...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts