Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't have come at a more annoying time with the pollen flying around, dusting up my wind screen so I'd be grateful for any advice regarding this issue.

I've done a bit of trouble shooting, pinching the individual cables and covering the ends with fingers.

When I use it as is, it trickles out of the left, the passenger side, and squirts half heartedly out of the right. Through trouble shooting I have created the following scenarios:

• Covering the Drivers side's nozzle improves the passenger side
  • Covering the passenger side's nozzle does not improve the driver's side
  • Pinching the cable where they split drastically improves the opposite side

So where would the great minds of AO think that the problem would lay? Is this something I can sort or best to take it to my mechanic (who by all accounts is fantastic)?

Andy

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
147 nozzles were never very good even straight out the factory.

I blocked the exterior of the 3 holes on each to improve the pressure on my
old 147.

Have you tried to remove and cleared them?
No sign of water dripping from under the car
when you spray?

Otherwise the pump/motor might be the next port of call.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
You could always put new nozzles from another car with better jets. The 147 ones are a bit pants.
If its the pressure mind it might be a pump on its way out.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sometimes you get a sludge at the base of the bottle which gets drawn into the system and clogs it up. Take it all apart and clean it, you'll be surprised just how much muck there is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When you take off the nozzle theres not much pressure anyway. I had this problem. I went to a scrappy and got 2 more nozzles and cleaned them with bleach etc to no real effect.

Got 2 new ones from alfa for £6 a piece and it was right as rain. 156/147 has **** poor water jets to be fair and not much water actually gets sprayed compared to other cars

·
Registered
938 Posts
my gt had the same problem for me the problem was when i close the bonnet the hinge blocked the water pipe it runs right at the hinge i removed the top 2 clips on the bonnet under cover and replaced the pipe from the link at the top to entry at the body with a thick silicone vacuum advance pipe they are nice and thick,fit over the nozzles nice and tight and when u clip the pipe back to the bonnet leave the bottom clip if u clip it there it tends to pinch the pipe again when u close, with the silicone pipe even when it pinches it still sprays perfect

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
check the non return valve is functioning, if not it allows the water in the pipe to flow back into the washer reservoir so there is little to spray onto the screen until six foot of piping has been refilled. Its built into the Y shaped joints and has a circular base, cheap easy fix, warm the pipes up with very hot water to make them flexible before removing and before fitting the new one.

HTH

·
Premium Member
7,576 Posts
check the non return valve is functioning.....
HTH
I actualy removed it on my car, improved the flow a lot :cool:
You can just open up the part and remove the spring and ballbearing.
Also replaced my washerjets for mito ones, they're a straight replacement (on the 147), but produce a water spray in stead of jets, works much better.

S

·
0 Posts
Alternative is to fit a Wipex jet kit that puts the washer jets on the wiper arms. Really good performance, no spraying the bonnet or the roof.

·
Registered
255 Posts
They get sludged up.
Top tip is to occasionally put sterilising fluid in the wash tank - couple of cap fulls of the stuff you use for baby's bottles. It keeps the pipes clean.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is ok to remove the non-return valve. They 'prime' the system so that the water doesn't have to be pumped as far when you operate the washers. They also stop the nozzles from dribbling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts