Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been browsing a lot on the topic but still can't find a definite answer how to tell a low-power JTD 20V M-jet.

When I input my VIN number into EPER it returns two resutls.A normal 175bhp 2.4JTD and a 163bhp one called Depot Belgium or something like that.Coming from my experience with such programs results like that usually mean that the car is a low-power edition.I know that there's an "environmental"edition for Belgium with low-powered 156s with 163BHP 20V M-jets.

The thing is my car has been bought new from Millan dealership + the engine code for 163bhp versions is 841M.000, but the label in my engine bay says 841.G000(which is the code for a 175bhp engine).So I'm really confused how am I supposed to know which of the two versions is my car....and if it's the low-power edition what are the differences and how do I "fix" this?

Thanks

A

·
0 Posts
I reckon the difference between the two is solely the ECU mapping, so a remap to factory standard for 175 bhp would do the job. Yet I wonder, would you really feel those missing 12 bhp?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reckon the difference between the two is solely the ECU mapping, so a remap to factory standard for 175 bhp would do the job. Yet I wonder, would you really feel those missing 12 bhp?
I've already got the remap (supposedly to 200+bhp), but was wondering if the only difference is the map or the whole ECU....will have a look at EPER if the part numbers are the same...

And yes, I was missing those 12bhp :D...I've had a couple of drag races and one of them was with a 156 150BHp 10V JTD with a 63mm straight pipe from the turbo+a remap and I am only just half a car infront of it....though I'd be better...

A

·
0 Posts
I doubt Alfa would've designed a separate ECU only for a relatively small market such as Belgium, wouldn't have made a lot of economic sense. Also keep in mind that in the 2.4 10v the gearbox is different (and said to be better than the GM F40 in 2.4 20v), plus I suppose many other parts.
Sadly, it looks like the 2.4 20v we have is simply an intermediate version between the old 2.4 10v and the current 2.4 20v as in 159/Brera - I guess we should be honored for having the privilege to do beta testing for AR. :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt Alfa would've designed a separate ECU only for a relatively small market such as Belgium, wouldn't have made a lot of economic sense. Also keep in mind that in the 2.4 10v the gearbox is different (and said to be better than the GM F40 in 2.4 20v), plus I suppose many other parts.
Sadly, it looks like the 2.4 20v we have is simply an intermediate version between the old 2.4 10v and the current 2.4 20v as in 159/Brera - I guess we should be honored for having the privilege to do beta testing for AR. :)
Yeah it is 5speed the 10V + the F40 is an absolute shite but anyway just expected to be a bit faster...

as for the ECU you're probabbly right...the only puzzle now is how to prove these existing to the authorities so I get a bit off my taxes... :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
If the engine code says it's for 175 bhp, you're out of luck. Even if it said it matched a 163 bhp, it'd still be problematic, as I doubt that particular type would've been already homologated (spelling?) in your country, being relatively rare - so you'd have to pay for the whole process yourself to prove the car is really a 163 bhp.
Funny though you mention taxes - I know a large amount of people from Romania who register their (older) cars in Bulgaria to avoid local taxes, so I'd have thought you needn't worry about that. Registering a EURO-3 car (such as the 156 2.4 20v) in Romania can cost up to 2000 euros in initial "eco" tax alone...

·
Registered
970 Posts
If the engine code says it's for 175 bhp, you're out of luck. Even if it said it matched a 163 bhp, it'd still be problematic, as I doubt that particular type would've been already homologated (spelling?) in your country, being relatively rare - so you'd have to pay for the whole process yourself to prove the car is really a 163 bhp.
Funny though you mention taxes - I know a large amount of people in Romania who register their (older) cars in Bulgaria to avoid local taxes, so I'd have thought you needn't worry about that. Registering a EURO-3 car (such as the 156 2.4 20v) in Romania can cost up to 2000 euros in initial "eco" tax alone...
You still have to pay taxes in Bulgaria (In theory) :D They're just quite a bit lower than in Romaina.It was on the news recently that there are people in the border towns with like 200-300 cars registerd on their name(obviously romanians own these cars and neither they, nor bulgarians pay anything for them to bulgarian authorities) so this might be over soon

....still it'd probably be like 10EUR per year lower for these 12hp but why should I pay these money for nothing?

·
Registered
586 Posts
As mentioned above its just a difference in the generic map to suit intended destination, all manufacturers use this policy.
Same with the 1.9JTD 16V, One as a 140bhp map and the very last models (05 onwards) have the 150bhp map.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts