Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine started making a noise, initially it sounded sort of flutter like, (can't think of a better description), so thought it was something flapping about or something underneath. It eventually became more apparent as a tappet like noise. I checked the oil, and it was very low, below the minimum - took 1.5 litres to get it up to max. Seems that at some point, it stopped displaying the dashboard indicator when the engine starts without me realising. It's still making a slight noise although nowhere near as loud. What sort of damage could I have caused? It's due for a service anyway, so the oil is due to be renewed, will that help?

·
Registered
614 Posts
these 3.2 engines need more oil than less, it wont have done alot of good but not necessarily caused damage

my 3.2 always has at least 500ml extra oil as on track i want to avoid any oil starvation

i check the oil on my dipstick every single weekend on all my cars to be safe

i would check the engine oil level again to see what the level is now

when the car is warm, in neutral, very slowly rev up to 3,000 revs.

do this about 10 times

then blip the throttle abit and rev to high revs quickly (bascially red line but dont hold the throttle down)

do this a few times then do another slow rev or two

then go for a 10 minute drive or so, this will help to distribute the oil better and lubricate the tappets

i had this on my 3.2 that was stored for 2 years and i now store it a few months at a time, i do this procedure every time to get rid of the tappet noise

in the future make sure the oil level is always just above the full mark slightly

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Good advice....but make sure it's only just above the max line. Too much oil is as bad as not enough and can (ironically) actually cause oil starvation. The crank webs whisk the oil to a foam and the oil pump just picks up air. I used to check the oil in my Busso V6 156 at least every 2 weeks....it used to use a bit, especially at ...ahem...high revs. But I don't bother any more on my 159....does not burn a drop between services! Usually I just check it when I'm under the bonnet doing something else....would not recommend this approach though!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good advice....but make sure it's only just above the max line. Too much oil is as bad as not enough and can (ironically) actually cause oil starvation. The crank webs whisk the oil to a foam and the oil pump just picks up air. I used to check the oil in my Busso V6 156 at least every 2 weeks....it used to use a bit, especially at ...ahem...high revs. But I don't bother any more on my 159....does not burn a drop between services! Usually I just check it when I'm under the bonnet doing something else....would not recommend this approach though!
im always using mine at high revs all the time! haha

in the 8k i did in it in europe last year, doing the ring 6 times, gp track for an hour i ended up using/burning through nearly 3 litres of top up in 2 1/2 months!

i blame it on doing the stelvio pass 5 times and revving up the mountain passes

Ive bought some new valve covers from a camaro so will be fitting them, theyre a higher profile so will help hopefully

I am also looking at a baffled sump, but i cant seem to find anyone whose willing or knows how to do it in the midlands area but would travel to get it done

im worried to cause oil starvation as im doing a lot of trackdays now

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, will do that. When I first had it, it used to need the odd top up, but after auto lusso did some work on it they mentioned that it should be better in that regard, and it was to begin with for sure. Guess that, coupled with not realising the display had stopped working made me think it was fine. How's the 3.2 on ttackdays?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car started running rough, now there's a very nasty sounding rattly noise from the top end. Going into the garage shortly, but I think my days of alfa ownership are numbered tbh. Too many problems, too expensive each time. Considering an rx8 next, because I'm apparently a glutton for punishment!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine light is on, but it was anyway. Codes are P0520 (oil pressure?) - since just after I realised the oil was low and topped up, and P0136 (o2 sensor) - long standing one. Not sure if its misfiring actually, it sounded really rough initially, so probably was then, but when I parked it after it was unloaded it didn't seem that bad aside from the rattling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts