Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the following happened:

Took a 20 min drive. Got home. Turned the car off and then restarted it immediately as I wanted to park it more neatly. Low Oil Pressure warning comes up on the info display in the dash. Rev the car, it goes away and doesnt come back on again at idle. Drove again a bit later and same thing happened.

Diagnostic plugged in at idle and switched off says switch is working ok. Warning does not come on at cold idle, only warm and after being driven then switched off and on again, not more generally when warm at idle (if that makes sense).

Car has done 114000 and was last oil and filter serviced 4000 miles ago (last October) with the correct oil and filter Alfa Spec at an indie.

Engine sounds fine and no odd performance etc noted.

What are my options? Is it a case of dont drive until resolved?:irked:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Have you checked the oil level with the dip-stick yet? Needs doing before you start the engine again!

I've noticed that if I immediately restart the engine after stopping, the oil level indicator that pops up on the dash will drop a bar (e.g. normally 5/5 bars full, on restart after stopping it'll show 4/5), but never get oil pressure warnings.. Pretty sure this is expected, as there's a load of oil all held up in the block/head before it drains back to the sump..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the oil level with the dip-stick yet? Needs doing before you start the engine again!

I've noticed that if I immediately restart the engine after stopping, the oil level indicator that pops up on the dash will drop a bar (e.g. normally 5/5 bars full, on restart after stopping it'll show 4/5), but never get oil pressure warnings.. Pretty sure this is expected, as there's a load of oil all held up in the block/head before it drains back to the sump..
Just checked oil level when cold and dipstick is top level, so thats ok.

I also just took it for same drive as yesterday. Got it nice and warm then turned it off and straight back on, no warning message. Then left it for a couple mins, started it up and sure enough warning message again. One very short blip of throttle and warning message goes away and doesnt return.

car drives really well, sounds normal and pulls strongly as normal.

Anyone know where the sensor is if its easy ish to put a new one in? Underneath I assume?
Could it just be the sensor thats duff or some gunk in the system somewhere?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd say there's nothing you can do with this really. If the sensor is telling the truth and there is low pressure at idle, then the big ends are worn and it'll cost a fortune to rebuild it, so in practice you'd just carry on driving it til it got worse. You'd have to fit a mechanical gauge in place of the oil sensor to check the pressure properly. But, as it's doing it straight after you stop and start it, I'd definitely first just change the oil filter as there is a pressure relief valve in it which is meant to hold the oil to stop the filter draining when you shut off the engine. It's possible that it's busted for whatever reason, so change the filter. If still the same then MAYBE oil pickup in sump is damaged, or dipstick collar is damaged meaning your putting dipstick down further than it should go, making you think the oil level is spot on when it's actually low. I'd bet the filter though, as the mileage is too low for it to genuinely be worn to death (unless it has been run with no oil in before...)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Todays update is shes dripping a little oil now underneath so hoping to get under and look asap. Froma glance underneath the sumps wet on the drivers side and theres blowback a little waybehind.

Ironically no more warning messages, but the levels now dropped a fifth over 150 miles so its looking like the leak now showing is where this started

Great

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Have a very good look at the oil cooler and pipe connections, under the front right corner in front of the wheel. The pipes are notorious for rotting through, losing all the oil, and the engine if not spotted in time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No obvious oil leak and levels now not dropped and warning light hasnt come on since. But....,

Slow leak on power steering pipes in the usual place by the wheel arch drivers side. Topped up and keeping an eye.

Oh well (rolls eyes)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2004 156 2.4 JTDM has a regular Low Oil Level Warning. It comes on about half the time, with a cold start up. Sometimes it says oil level full, and sometimes low. It doesn't say this on warm start up. I've checked the dip stick regularly, like every other day. No obvious leaks, when standing on my drive way or in the office car park for a full day. She runs as well as I can expect with the trip computer reading an average of 54mpg. I bought the car last week, and it's scheduled service is expired. Next week she's booked in at my local trusted garage.

I suspect, old oil and blocked lines and filter. Let's hope a regular service can solve this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts