Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought my awesome 159 1.9 diesel about two weeks ago from down south drove it to the midlands then up north and back again it didn't miss a beat. But driving home on Thursday after about two minutes when trying to pull away I had no power and had to limp round the corner. I turned the engine off/on then stalled it, did this a few times then got the "insufficient oil pressure" message on the dash. So I floored it and the revs built up and I was able to drive it home. Low power issues since. Could this be cold weather related? Any ideas please let me know !

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Braver man than me. If I had 'insufficient oil pressure' I wouldn't drive it. You'll need to plug it into FiatECUScan to get the fault codes.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Not unusual to get a low oil pressure warning just when the engine stalls, but if you get it at any other time it is a sign of trouble...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,I think I'd Better do that then. Something is telling me that it's freezing weather related.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes me feel a bit better. I was torn between this and a 5 series but to quote James may "the stylistic beauty" of the alfa made me choose this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another good point, I did get a "water in fuel filter" message flash up the day before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's great to drive (except when the no power happens) I had a 5 series years ago but it had to go after the head gasket in Devon incident. I love alfa's so do other people, my neighbour popped round to tell me he liked my headlights, strange bloke!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having priced up a fuel filter at £70 and the sensor that fits underneath it at £ 40 I decided to get the fault memory read just in case. There were no faults current or stored.
So the fuel filter was drained just in case there was any water in it and the message has not popped up since. The engine was still sluggish.
I took the EGR valve off which sits just behind the engine and it was full of carbon build up. I cleaned it out with a bottle brush then took it for a road test on a duel carriage way at 3000 rpm for about six miles.

It's now working perfectly and the fuel consumption is better to!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you still need help with the egr problem? This is a great guide on how to recon your egr by a chap called shifty bloke I've copied his post below

I have created a PDF manual with step by step photos and procedures for fixing a EGR valve on a 1.9JTD.

This how-to may be applicable for other Alfa / Fiat, Opel, Vauxhall and Saab Diesels with the same or similar EGR valve.

Please download from the link below.

How-to Fix the EGR on a 1.9JTD.pdf

http://sdrv.ms/NllzYU

ShiftyBloke

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for the water in fuel, that message comes up regularly again now, I changed the filter, this made no difference, I stopped using supermarket fuel, this made no difference.
Think I will have to bite the bullet and buy the sensor that fits on to the bottom of the fuel filter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts