Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
to explain the hectic thread title, my GT is getting close to the "5 years old" mark, and I'm wondering, whether I should have my cambelt changed or not. The car has only driven 31000km (19375mi) so I find it a bit premature to change the belt. This is its first winter outside a garage. My last service was in July (30000km - I don't drive the car too much) and the guys at my local dealership didn't say a word about the belt (but then again, they are the guys from my local dealership - I'm not sure, if I can trust them. A community of actual owners of AR cars is a much more credible source of information for me). What do you guys think, should I have the belt changed or not? The car's been running fine so far.
Oh, and sorry if this has been answered somewhere else on this forum, I probably didn't find it in the search results. The only helpful topic said that AR has shortened the cambelt change schedule from 5 to 3 years (which means mine is theoretically on the verge).

·
Registered
38,892 Posts
Should be done every 36,000 miles or every 3 years whichever comes first so it is well overdue.

Low mileage belts often get a harder life, as the belt is under most strain at startup and lower engine speeds. The rubber also deteriorates with age.

It doesn't matter if the car is running well now, belts normally go with no warning.

R

·
0 Posts
The only helpful topic said that AR has shortened the cambelt change schedule from 5 to 3 years (which means mine is theoretically on the verge).
On the verge @ 5 years :confused: 36k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first, so yours is not on the verge, it's 2 years overdue :thumbs:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the verge @ 5 years :confused: 36k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first, so yours is not on the verge, it's 2 years overdue :thumbs:
Right, what a great start of a new day :lol: (I'm one hour ahead). I guess I'm lucky the engine is still running. I'll get a new cambelt then...

·
Registered
38,892 Posts
You need a new cambelt, new balance belt and 3 tensioners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need a new cambelt, new balance belt and 3 tensioners.
I've just contacted my local dealer and will have the belt changed asap (or maybe in spring - I'm not driving the car during winter anyway). Just out of curiosity - how much would the change of the cambelt, ballance belt and tensioners aproximately set me back in the UK? I've heard the belt is around £380.

·
Registered
38,892 Posts
I would say between £400-450 Including a new variator.

The variator should be changed really with the belt, as if it starts rattling afterwards you either need to get the belt changed again or put up with it until the next belt change.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The variator should be changed really with the belt, as if it starts rattling afterwards you either need to get the belt changed again or put up with it until the next belt change.
Alright, thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

I thought it was only the TS that had a variator :confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts