Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner on first full tankful...
Warning light came on at 1/4 tank left, showing around 50 miles to empty - this quickly changed to showing no numeric at all, just 3 horizontal dashes.
Fuel consumption so far has been poor - low 20's (urban/commuting) and i have been taking it very easy. I am hoping this will improve somewhat.

Any comments on the fuel warning and how much fuel is left at the 1/4 full mark?

·
Registered
554 Posts
New owner on first full tankful...

Warning light came on at 1/4 tank left, showing around 50 miles to empty - this quickly changed to showing no numeric at all, just 3 horizontal dashes.

Fuel consumption so far has been poor - low 20's (urban/commuting) and i have been taking it very easy. I am hoping this will improve somewhat.

Any comments on the fuel warning and how much fuel is left at the 1/4 full mark?
Are you a new owner of a new veloce?

I've done about 18 miles after the Red light comes on, wouldn't risk much more as apparently the fuel gauge is a bit crap....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check out the forum for consumption posts. I get ~28 mpg on average, mostly in D and not worrying too much about fuel. Short journeys kill consumption figures. But if you're worried about that you got the wrong car ;-)
It's annoying that the estimate disappears very soon after the low fuel light comes on. As you say this is often with two or more bars shown. I can sometimes coax it back to life by switching to A. It normally goes on at ~45 miles to go for me, but this may be a reflection of the journey lengths I do.
As said above, after a few miles you get another bong and it turns RED. At this point make sure you're driving to a petrol station! I've done 10 miles after that, somewhat squirming. I seem to remember reading that there was ~2 litres left at this point.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Check out the forum for consumption posts. I get ~28 mpg on average, mostly in D and not worrying too much about fuel. Short journeys kill consumption figures. But if you're worried about that you got the wrong car ;-)
It's annoying that the estimate disappears very soon after the low fuel light comes on. As you say this is often with two or more bars shown. I can sometimes coax it back to life by switching to A. It normally goes on at ~45 miles to go for me, but this may be a reflection of the journey lengths I do.
As said above, after a few miles you get another bong and it turns RED. At this point make sure you're driving to a petrol station! I've done 10 miles after that, somewhat squirming. I seem to remember reading that there was ~2 litres left at this point.
The most fuel I've ever managed to get into my early Quadrifoglio was about 55 litres and this after driving for 20 miles with the red light showing, albeit slowly and nervously. As the tank is nominally 58 litres (I believe all petrol Giulia's have that size tank), I couldn't have got much further.

On basis of my observations, the amber warning comes on when gauge drops to 2 segments and the red one at 1 segment. The distance remaining goes blank after 32 miles or 50km. Somewhat unhelpful when you're judging whether you can get to a petrol station some distance away.

There are various threads on this subject, including one saying there's a recall to get the gauge software updated. Though perhaps that only applies to North America. I've not had that update. Perhaps more recently built Giulia's have better software.

Andy

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The fuel gauge is also not linear. There is more fuel in the top quarter of the gauge and it proportionally reduces with each quarter which is why when you are past the half way mark, the amber warning comes on quickly and the red even more alarmingly quickly! The NAFTA fuel gauge software update is to do with something about refuelling under specific conditions.

On my 2.0 it says around 50 miles usually when amber light comes on (2 bars) and depending on how you are driving updates the "estimate". If you are driving a lot of urban or start-stop the estimate usually turns to --. But when I am cruising at steady speed which means steady fuel consumption, the computer decides this is enough and gives a better estimate. Most occasions when it turns red, the estimate disappears but not always (cruising). The best estimate I have had when red is around 35 miles when doing an average of 40mph in my usual commute. The 2.0 engine needs time to settle and the consumption usually improves once you have a few thousand miles in the bank.

As posted by MacGeek on the US forum:
"Published today, for incorrect fuel level readings in specific conditions.

The specific conditions include being parked on a grade of more than 10 degrees, staying in that position for a long enough period of time (approx. 30 minutes), and having a tank filled between 50-75%. At this point, the vehicle will think it went through a refuel and add a notch or two to the fuel gauge upon restart. This additional fuel reading will persist until an actual refuel takes place; after which, the fuel reading will be accurate once again.

Fix is a software update."

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you are only doing very short journeys be very very careful about only relying on orange and red light warnings. Mine's gone to orange and then run out of fuel completely now twice. Literally, orange light on, within 5 miles no fuel and dead as a dodo! Unfortunately, the Giulia's fuel gauge is by far the worse I've ever had and I cannot and do not rely on it anymore. I now do my own maths on what I put in the car and average mpg, then err on the side of caution still and always make sure I've filled up when I think I'm down to quarter tank, regardless. Ridiculous really that I'd need to do this on a modern car.

As I stated, this only seems to be an issue with frequent very short journeys where it seems it can't accurately calculate the actual remaining fuel left. One minute it's on 4 or 5 bars, the next orange light is on, then no fuel!

I now do longer runs more frequently thankfully but for those who don't I'd be advising caution.

I've had diags run on mine too and no issues were found either time.

I know others have also had issues with the fuel gauge accuracy too, and don't trust what it shows.

It's really my only issue with the car and I cannot fault much else if I'm honest.

Hope you enjoy the car, it's a blinder, especially if you're used to driving German mobiles.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
the orange light comes on as soon as the car has switched to the reserve tank which is after it has used 50 litres exactly
red means stop and fuel up asap
the trip meter readings are as close to accurate as you can get - you can calculate almost to the drop how much fuel will go into the tank according to your readings, to do this you have to reset your trip meter every time you fill up

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must say I have never come across these issues, although only 500 on the clock.

When I picked the car up it was on red! I drove VERY carefully and reached a garage after a few miles. Now, to put a customer in that position is ridiculous, but it was fine luckily.

They said they only ever leave the absolute minimum in a car. The car had 20 miles on pick up, so not sure how they work that!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
I read that the fuel tank is bigger for petrol than the diesel - not by much, but it is bigger (61 litres against 58 litres??). I use about a tank full per week but the estimated range seems to be dictated by the way the car is driven over the last few miles ( I don't know how many) as I can have 1/4 tank left & have a range of 40miles, but then start cruising at 50mph & the range will go up to 95 miles.

·
Registered
32,010 Posts
It should be remembered that due to the rear-drive axle etc the tank is “saddle shaped”
And on an incline fuel can transfer from one side to the other.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Thanks Cue, that's really interesting. One thing I have noticed is when refuelling, there's almost a cloud of vapour being forced out of the tank as it fills. Never seen that from any other car that I've owned before. Although a long time ago I had a Fiat Uno that used to 'emit wind' in hot weather as the vapour heated up!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just pulled into the pumps as the amber warning came on and got 50 litres into the tank, so for petrol at least the amber warning means you have 8 litres left :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I just pulled into the pumps as the amber warning came on and got 50 litres into the tank, so for petrol at least the amber warning means you have 8 litres left :)
That's assuming the tank is actually 58 litres as stated in the owner's manual.

The most I've got in brimming my Quadrifoglio with the amber light lit is 49 litres and the least 44.

With the Red light lit, max 55 litres min 50.

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
2.0 Petrol is supposed to be 58litres including a 9litre reserve whereas the diesel is 52 litres including 8litre reserve. Which sort of fits - amber light = going into reserve

·
Registered
736 Posts
Also had a Safety Recall notice for 'inaccurate fuel gauge' today.
2019 Veloce, Never actually had any problems, but try never to let the tank run too low.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Mine had the software update for this when it went in for its first service a few weeks ago

got the recall letter for it today

1 - 20 of 31 Posts