Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'08 Brera S 2.2 (Edition no 45). Previously '12 Mito 1.6 JTDM
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Relatively new owner of an '08 2.2 Brera S that'll be hitting 100k miles this weekend. I've had the car for around 2 months and when I bought it it had what felt like a bad misfire. The previous owner used the car as a Sunday car and it had done less than 3,000 miles in the previous 2 years then sat on a garage forecourt for a couple of months.

Worth noting the car has recently had a second timing belt replacement prior to purchase.

I've been running the car on premium fuel and ran some fuel additive/injector cleaner through and it feels great with only a mild sign of what feels like the misfire at start on old days. I doubt I'd notice it now if I wasn't looking for it after it's noticeable presence at the start of my ownership.

All seemed great but have noticed that when the fuel is running low - not red light low, just quarter of a tank downwards the engine does seem a little rougher and one day recently on starting with less than a quarter of a tank the car was incredibly rough like it may stall any second. It felt like it may not have been running on all 4 cylinders? A quick rev cleared its throat and it hasn't happened again.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or any idea what it could be? Something up with the fuel pump/line? Any ideas welcome - I've refilled the tank and all is creamy smooth again.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like if the fuel pump in your tank is delivering just enough to get enough pressure helped by the gravity of a tank filled more than a quarter? After a couple of refills during past time of ownership, I’d say any condensation water would be out, unless you never ran it almost empty? Perhaps drain the tank fully once its 3/4 empty and then refill for 1/4 plus check of fuel pressure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts