Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there & Good Evening,

Once again I have a problem that I have no Idea from where its coming from. I have a 1992 1.3 Series 3 Alfa 33 and Have Dell'Orto Carburettors. After a long service and a complete carburettor service, the car once again had its carbs syncronized and was as smooth as ever. Thing is if I am driving and I am on Neutral (Free) the car immediately turns off. And I have to start her up again via gear or key. Now the carburettors are tuned perfetly and have no problem whatsoever. I admit I am still waiting for my choke cable to arrive but it starts A OK without the need of choke. I also noticed that the car's engine temperature wont go more than 60 Degrees Celcius and that is low as its Optimum is 80. The thermostat seems fine and the heater is OK too but I have no Idea why its shutting down. Call me stupid but aren't thermostats usually jam closed ? (engine Overheats) I've installed a New K&N Filter Charger and still same responce. I tampered with the Hot/Cold Air Mixer and still the same either way. Anyone has any ideas ? :cry:

Thanks Alot For your time,

Keith

·
Registered
317 Posts
When you say "the thermostat seems fine", do you mean you have tested the temperature it opens at and it is within tolerance? It could be opening at a lower temp than it should.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erm... to be honest I didn't chech the thermostat exactly. I checked onky that it wasn't circulating water on engine start. Is it possible that the thermostat is mulfonctionning ? I usually checked diffective thermostats but all I've ever seen were stuck open. I'll check the thermostat or just replace it to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the tip

Keith

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Air flow meter maybe (if your car has one). My 33 (a phase 3) used to stall in cold weather, and it was the AFM :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is the Idle speed set correctly, sounds like the car is stalling off throttle. As for the cool running im not so sure unless your fan is on permanently, some people give the fans a constant power supply if the fan switch is faulty?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys thanks for the help,

I think the carburettors are incorectly set or were set on dirty carbs. The car didn't use to stall or turn off as much before I had the Carbs Cleaned thouroughly. Now I guess that since it was adjusted with dirthy carbs its now lean.

The engine temperature is a mystery, I've talked to a couple of friends who own a 33 and all said that the temp hardly ever reaches 80 Degrees Centigrade. Now I haven't tampered with the Fan or thermostat but I am guessing that the thermostat isn't closing and is allowing water to circulate through the radiator even on engine startup and a cold engine. I have ordered its choke cable as someone prior to me had it removed (Don't ask why !!). I'll have it attached as soon as I recieve the item.

Will keep you posted and Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts