Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My Little Ana Is Having A Paddy With Her Voltage, She's A GTV 2.0 Twiny Coupe
Sometimes She Puts 13.5V At The Battery (running at idle) And All Is Well, But Most Of The Time She's Only Putting
Out 12.3V (running at idle).

This Barley Raises At Higher Revs And If I Start Using Lights, Heater, Radio Etc.. She'll Drop Bellow 12V :censored:

I Know Electronics Can Be Difficult To Diagnose But Is This My Alternator That's Going / Gone ??

Any Help Or Pointers Would Be Greatly Appriciated.

Thanks, Chris.

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,656 Posts
1. It could be dead cell in the battery which could be dragging the voltage down or a loose auxiliary belt.

2. Or its the voltage regulator unit which on some alternators is a separate replaceable item. If you set your meter to AC volts and you get a reading this would indicate the DC diode pack in the regulator is on the way out.

3. Check all earths straps to the engine.

4. Your alternator is on the way out.

HTH

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Thanks For The Reply, Got Up This Morning And Batt Was At 10V, Jump Started Her And Drove To Work Then After 4 Hours Parked Up
It Was Gone Again, Done A Drain Test And Was Pulling 3 Amps When All Turned Off ??
Did A Fuse Pull, Removed Indicator Fuse And Re-Inserted It And Now It's Still At 1.9 Amps
Checked All Earth Conections - All Good

So It Looks Like I've Got A Bad Alternator And A Parasitic Drain :furious:

Are These Problems Connected ? If Not I Don't Know What's Bought On The Drain As She Wasn't Doing This Yesterday :banghead:

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,656 Posts
3 amps is a high drain was your multimeter to auto range?

How old is the battery?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts