Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted for a while on the subject of 166s' for sale,but
look at this seen on Autotrader an 04 T/s Fl lusso for £4250no!
57k and private sale.
It seems that the days when a nice f/l came on the market and was
sold in hours are long gone.
There has been a low miles TI for sale for weeks on Autotrader
at circa £7250 ,and now being offered by a dealer I see,there
are seemingly no takers for the Veloces ones at around £10k,
3litre Supers can be picked up for small change now,at one time
you would have to pay a hefty premium for a nice spec. low miles
one of these.
I suppose this is a reflection on the whole economy,but large used
cars are on the floor,even petrol head friends of mine are opting
out,one good mate of mine has sorn'd his E320 cdi AMG avantgard
because its' not worth selling it and is driving around in a 52 plate
fiesta zetec,low CO2 ,cheap road tax and 50mpg!
Well I am going to have to run my TI into the ground because it
will not be worth selling.
I dont' know what I will be buying next,but I think I will definately
going the diesel route,what to buy ?
I must admit some of the offerings from Citroen look interesting!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Haven't posted for a while on the subject of 166s' for sale,but
look at this seen on Autotrader an 04 T/s Fl lusso for £4250no!
57k and private sale.
It seems that the days when a nice f/l came on the market and was
sold in hours are long gone.
There has been a low miles TI for sale for weeks on Autotrader
at circa £7250 ,and now being offered by a dealer I see,there
are seemingly no takers for the Veloces ones at around £10k,
3litre Supers can be picked up for small change now,at one time
you would have to pay a hefty premium for a nice spec. low miles
one of these.
I suppose this is a reflection on the whole economy,but large used
cars are on the floor,even petrol head friends of mine are opting
out,one good mate of mine has sorn'd his E320 cdi AMG avantgard
because its' not worth selling it and is driving around in a 52 plate
fiesta zetec,low CO2 ,cheap road tax and 50mpg!
Well I am going to have to run my TI into the ground because it
will not be worth selling.
I dont' know what I will be buying next,but I think I will definately
going the diesel route,what to buy ?
I must admit some of the offerings from Citroen look interesting!
darling's road tax for a 3.0 V6: £210 this year, £300 next year, £440 the year after
petrol prices > 107pence/litre compared to around 85p/litre last year this time.
its horrid, but people are being priced out of owning and driving these cars...so, the knock on effect is small change pricing...
and if you can just about manage...then you might pick up a bargain..

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
I'm getting a double hit on the tax with the missus ML !!! :eek:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you have hit the nail on the head,driven off the road really
by the anti car government lobby with the insane taxation levels,they want us all in bland,boring low co2 euroboxes,unless you are fortunate
enough to afford some new high tec top end model!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would NEVER let any government ruin my enjoyment in using my 166 3.0 at all times like I do now,regardless of what the price of petrol/tax etc.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Always been undervalued in the UK,so as they get older repair and
running costs will,as you say lead to them being scrapped,and of course there was probably only about 3000 of them imported,it
is not I fear going to end up being a classic car worth saving,how often do you see a very nice 164 or indeed one for sale,yes a few
cherished examples survive in the hands of enthusiasts,and a lot of
164s' were sold here,whilst you often see eldery examples of more
common marques soldiering on and dare I say some of them were
pretty horrible when new!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
unless you are fortunate
enough to afford some new high tec top end model!
aye bloody darling politicians in their government cars....makes you sick...when my old man was a labour baillie he went by bus and train....changed days eh.

well when THE 3.0 SPORTRONIC lacey goes to 435 the same as the TS I'LL SORN HER AND KEEP FILLING HER WITH PETROL AND HEAR THOSE LOVELY REVS IN MY RUNWAY TILL THE NEIGHBOURS GET AN ASBO.:D

IF THEY THOUGHT IT THROUGH PROPERLY THEY'D BE PLANTING TREES TO CONVERT THE CO2 BACK TO OXYGEN BUT THEY ARE DESTROYING ALL THE FORRESTS FOR TIMBER FRAMED HOUSES.
SMART AREN'T THEY...EXPERTS WE ALL NEDD THEM LIKE AN EXTRA HOLE IN THE HEAD.
Pomeo

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
if everyone ends up in low emission slow euro boxes it means I will be able to overtake them all in my old low emitting £200 tax bracket V6 :D

BTW filled up yesterday and petrol was down to 109p per litre so does that mean the end to the crunch?

·
Registered
674 Posts
if everyone ends up in low emission slow euro boxes it means I will be able to overtake them all in my old low emitting £200 tax bracket V6
Careful, they are not all so slow. The new Fiat Brava 1.5d has a higher torque (and at lower revs too) than my 166 3.0!

Captain Darling has certainly destroyed any resale value my 166 had. I guess I'll be keeping it now until the wheels fall off. To avoid that vindictive VED tax she might be getting French number plates soon - no road tax in France :)

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
To avoid that vindictive VED tax she might be getting French number plates soon - no road tax in France :)
How do we go about that then ???

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I do very few miles, so the sums to scrap the 166 and buy some crappy low-rent eco-box make little sense. I'll stick with my lovely 166 for as long as I can.

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
ITs really sad the value will keep going down until the are worth £0 and then they will start getting scrapped and forgoten about :(

But remember Stu half of NOTHING is still NOTHING so as ChrisS says you have NOTHING to lose.Pity the experts didn't do their sums properly.:D

I do very few miles, so the sums to scrap the 166 and buy some crappy low-rent eco-box make little sense. I'll stick with my lovely 166 for as long as I can.
Me 2 Chris me 2
:thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
674 Posts
How do we go about that then ???
I'll let you know when I've been through it. I have a second home in France and bought a knackered old 205 to leave over there a couple of years ago. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy car ownership is there: MoT is only every two years and quite lax (you should see the state of my 18 year old 205), insurance is cheaper and simple - I have open drive on the 205, anyone with a full license can drive it, and there is no problem with younger drivers, all that happens is the excess increases when driven by an under 25. What a simple system. I was quite open with the insurance broker that it was only my holiday home and I would only be there a few months of the year but they had no trouble accepting a non-French license. All easey peasey.

I know friends who have previously imported UK cars there. No big problems really: speedo has to show Kilometres (they all do), head lights need to be angled to the right. That's all.

Like I say, I'll let you know :)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
not just 166's either - i had to practically give my lexus GS300 away..

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
When I was back in the UK, I chatted to a few car dealers. The guy at Ford had sold just 2 cars in the previous month! He said that there were people trying to trade down from a Land Rover Discovery to a Ford Fiesta :eek:. Meanwhile, the Kia dealer was doing a lot of business, selling the Cee'd with its low cost and 7 year warranty. The tax/fuel/recession (oh, we're not supposed to use that word, are we?!) is hitting the car market in general but especially the larger cars. It's great news if you're able to run an executive car, though. I reckon there will be some amazing bargains next year on the secondhand market.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When I was back in the UK, I chatted to a few car dealers. The guy at Ford had sold just 2 cars in the previous month! He said that there were people trying to trade down from a Land Rover Discovery to a Ford Fiesta :eek:. Meanwhile, the Kia dealer was doing a lot of business, selling the Cee'd with its low cost and 7 year warranty. The tax/fuel/recession (oh, we're not supposed to use that word, are we?!) is hitting the car market in general but especially the larger cars. It's great news if you're able to run an executive car, though. I reckon there will be some amazing bargains next year on the secondhand market.
there are :wow: bargains right now on the second hand market...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts