Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my MiTo 1.3 JTDm-2 95 Veloce is now almost 4 months old and I have already notched up 8,000 miles.... :)

I am very happy to report that the car has been effectively trouble free with only a rattly glove box to bother me - and a quick squirt of WD-40 fixed that anyway!!

The average fuel economy on Trip B (not reset since new) is approximately 55mpg and I am still loving the attention the car gets on the road and I am really happy with my purchase!! :)

So many people told me to give Alfa Romeo a wide berth but I am glad I bought with my heart and not my head!! I so nearly ended up with a Fiesta ST TDCI...!!!

My only sadness is that my supplying dealer, Fish Brothers in Swindon, closed at Christmas and I now have to await the construction of a new T H White Alfa dealership which should open later this year...

If in doubt, go for it; the MiTo is a great little car!!! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
So glad your pleased with your MiTO, it is a fantastic little car. Sounds like you're getting a good mileage out of it. Much better choice than a Fiesta (any day), plus you get the prestige of an Alfa Romeo.

What, Fisher Brothers have closed?!! I'm moving to that part of the world soon, they would've been my local dealership. But its good to know that there's another one coming soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Alfa dealer closed on January 3rd... I was gutted!! The saleswoman (Michaela) was great to deal with and I would have happily gone back for my next car...

The T H White Alfa dealer will be on Mead Way and should open in the Autumn (according to the letter I received).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well my MiTo 1.3 JTDm-2 95 Veloce is now almost 4 months old and I have already notched up 8,000 miles.... :)

I am very happy to report that the car has been effectively trouble free with only a rattly glove box to bother me - and a quick squirt of WD-40 fixed that anyway!!

The average fuel economy on Trip B (not reset since new) is approximately 55mpg and I am still loving the attention the car gets on the road and I am really happy with my purchase!! :)

So many people told me to give Alfa Romeo a wide berth but I am glad I bought with my heart and not my head!! I so nearly ended up with a Fiesta ST TDCI...!!!

My only sadness is that my supplying dealer, Fish Brothers in Swindon, closed at Christmas and I now have to await the construction of a new T H White Alfa dealership which should open later this year...

If in doubt, go for it; the MiTo is a great little car!!! :thumbs:
Delighted to hear a happy owner of a Mito MJ. I too have the rattly glovebox. I thought that the previous owner had over loaded it and that was what was causing the rattle. I must try the WD40 on it to see if it cures it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Have all the Fish Brothers franchises gone? There was a Renault one too wasn't there? Shocked at this as they seemed to have got decent reports lately. Impressive that a replacement is already planned, wish i could say the same for an Alfa dealer in Oxford :(

If you're looking in the meantime i can say i was pretty impressed with the two visits i've made to Blade Alfa in Cheltenham - once with the Parents and then about 9 months later on my own to test drive a MiTo. Not tried their service side (which i appreciate is often the achilles heal) but they're a joint Alfa & Honda dealer, and i can't imagine Honda taking much cr*p in that respect.

Liam

·
Registered
223 Posts
@JTD_Liam

I think it's just the Alfa franchise part of Fish Brothers that's gone. Seems daft time to go as the range of cars is stunning, reputation on the up, and market share going up massively. It's their business I suppose.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
@JTD_Liam

I think it's just the Alfa franchise part of Fish Brothers that's gone. Seems daft time to go as the range of cars is stunning, reputation on the up, and market share going up massively. It's their business I suppose.
Oh right. Maybe they were concerned about the time to wait until the range gets bigger - i think it's only the 4C due this year and then well into 2013 before the SUV & Giulia hit land. Maybe they feel they can cope without Alfa, though given that they were/are also Renault and Renault is planning to axe loads of UK dealers, it seems weird. Maybe more info will come out over time.

Not heard of T H White before, so that sounds promising - i don't think large franchises like Arnold Clarke & Lookers are always the best idea with Alfa/Fiat. The smaller dealerships seem better, with the exception of Western group in Scotland who get alot of praise.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not heard of T H White before, so that sounds promising - i don't think large franchises like Arnold Clarke & Lookers are always the best idea with Alfa/Fiat. The smaller dealerships seem better, with the exception of Western group in Scotland who get alot of praise.
I'd noticed T H White are Land Rover dealers at Wootton Bassett, so they are fairly local.

Fish Bros always seemed to me to have too many franchises, so I'm not surprised they've
relinquished Alfa, which must have seen fewer sales than their other brands.

Re. smaller dealers, don't forget Longstones of Cannington (nr. Bridgwater) who are well
respected. I bought my Mito from them and have been very satisfied :thumbs:

Chris

·
Registered
573 Posts
see Autocar.co.uk. They are not loving Mito.....
sometimes i wonder how these people get jobs in motor journalism - looking at their review of the 155

I accept them not liking the ride or steering perhaps -i personally have no problem with the former but understand the latter - but this:

most of our testers found it frustratingly lethargic
compared to what exactly? a caterham 7? ok i exagerate greatly, sure mito isn't in any way the fastest car you can buy for 15k (as tested) but it's certainly up there with the most lively without being a true hot hatch

Dynamically, the Mito doesn’t even meet the class standard
what class standard? have they driven a polo, fiesta or astra or similar? or are they comparing it to a golf GTI or (like top gear) 1 series and A1s and A3s?

Although it will rev to 6600rpm, there’s little point in taking the engine much beyond 5500rpm, as performance starts to tail off.
they do realise it is a 1.4 with a turbo right? you'd think being motoring journalists and all they might work out that it wont rev as much as a 1.8 or even a 1.6...

as for the 1.3 - how on earth did they get 53 mpg?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What an odd review. It's a small diesel, in a larger (than other cars) chassis. On paper most of these cars are pretty much the same speed, because the Mito is feels premium I find that you are going faster than you think you are.

As to quality, please. I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't exude class AND style. Yes, the occasional plastic bit isn't soft touch but it's up there with the very po faced A1 and the really rather ugly Mini

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yer i dont agree with the review also. fact of the matter is the mito is a great little car. car reviews do wind me up sometimes. they seem to go on about things that just arent important in the real world, like lap times etc, i mean how regularly do you race around a track?

When i was in the petrol station this morning, had some guy say "nice car mate" and he was driving a bmw 635. i always get comments like this, which i doubt you would get driving a mini or golf!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yer i dont agree with the review also. fact of the matter is the mito is a great little car. car reviews do wind me up sometimes. they seem to go on about things that just arent important in the real world, like lap times etc, i mean how regularly do you race around a track?

When i was in the petrol station this morning, had some guy say "nice car mate" and he was driving a bmw 635. i always get comments like this, which i doubt you would get driving a mini or golf!
I dropped my 135 multiair for a service on Wednesday and they gave me a 61-plate 95 JTD as a loan car. I was expecting it to be slow and noisy compared to mine but I thought it was actually a really nice car and quite nippy. It was quite happy on the motorway at 70+ and was still doing 60mpg according to the trip (amazing!) plus it looked exactly the same as mine from the outside. Really nice car.;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ours is coming up to its second birthday and we are still awaiting our first fault ! Really super car .Do not pay attention to Autocar .The biggest pr machine is theBMW /Mini one and the journalists like to keep them happy for their advertising revenue and freebies .No adverts no magazine no job

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I spotted that review tonight & was expecting it to be fairly positive as AutoCar is usually abit fairer than AutoExpress, but it was terrible.

I test drove the 1.3 JTDm late last year before they reduced it to 85bhp & thought it was a cracking car. The steering did feel very strange in Normal mode, which would've put me off buying the car, but once in Dynamic it was immence. The motorway refinement was not a problem as AutoCar say & unless the tweaks to lower the emissions & bhp has drastically altered the engine & chassis i dunno what they're going on about :confused:

More worrying & less expected are the public's comments on the article. Comments like 'is anyone buying the MiTo'. Think a few AlfaOwner members need to get on there & set the record straight. One muppet even said 'they don't even do a Cloverleaf model' - he hadn't worked out that QV actually means four-leaf clover in green. You couldn't make it up. :rant:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've driven the 85 and 95 models, as Longstones only had a 95 and we are getting an 85, so I hunted one down elsewhere just to drive. Especially as we'd been told there was no discernible difference as the torque figures are very similar.

Happy to say he was right.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've driven the 85 and 95 models, as Longstones only had a 95 and we are getting an 85, so I hunted one down elsewhere just to drive. Especially as we'd been told there was no discernible difference as the torque figures are very similar.

Happy to say he was right.
Thanks for this, as if I do a part-ex for the 5-door (when it eventually arrives...)
I'll probably have to go for the 85HP version. I certainly wouldn't want any other
engine, as IMHO the 1.3JTDM is an overlooked gem in the range!

Chris

1 - 20 of 26 Posts