Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent a lot of time of late driving about in my good ladies 1996 Ford Fiesta I was taken by how much less bright my 155's headlights were. True the weather was pants, but never the less the lights were dimmer than a very very dim thing. Cleaned off the lenses helped a bit but I then decided to replace the dipped beam bulbs with some Phillips Vision jobbies. They claim 50% better light and longer distance beam, and blow me down with a mild breeze, they do work a treat. No silly blue tints, just pure bright white light. Only 55w too. Very nice.

Any other options available?

I am thinking of upgrading the main beam bulbs.
Now for the million dollar question.
Will the main beam lights take 100w bulbs, or would I be better sticking to the increased brightness phillips ones?
Or possibly one of the 80w increased brightness Xenon filled bulbs. I duno, gets very confusing. More Watts, different gas, odd coatings!

Anybody got any experience in this field.

Ta

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The lights in mine and most other 155's are crap!!

I did fit a couple of xennon bulbs to the main headlights a year or so ago but they were nothing special!

I think Henry has some good info regarding headlamp bulbs on his homepage!

.... I will try those new bulbs you have put in to see if they're any better than the ones i've got at the mo

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My lights are crap too. I don't think it is legal to out higher than the 55W bulbs in. Could be wrong though........JB ????

Marlon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is true, you aren't strictly allowed to have a higher wattage capability than 60W in front lighting but that only applies to dipped beam headlight bulbs. Main beams you can effectively do what you want because you aren't allowed them to dazzle other road users. A lad who lives near here has a rack of abour 6 lights on a roof bar on his HiLux. No fuss bother. He's a copper!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, using 100 watters is illegal but it doesn't stop the boy racers blinding everybody.

For some reason the twinny lights are much brighter than the V6....perhaps the headlamp protectors are to blame on the V6.

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you fit 100w bulbs you run the risk of melting the relay and the column switch unless you fit a second relay....btw beware of these coloured bulbs there is a new MOT regulation in the new updated manual that limits the use of those stuid boy racer bulbs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will stick to a second set of the Philips improved visibility ones. They really do make a difference. My dipped beam lights are reaching about 20 feet further than before on country lanes, and definition is clearer.

I like Phillips Visions.

Now I need another £13.99 for another pair!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding a little to previous praise of these bulbs.

Try out this site for the shpeil and applications list. You want the Philips Vision Plus bulbs

Powerbulbs.com

They are lovely and also do all the usual suspects in funny colours too if that is your thing.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As JB says, higher wattage lights are no good if the relay can't handle it.

I think the relays should have some resistor (or something) to protect them from too much wattage, so they shouldn't melt but at the very least you just won't get the full-monty 130W or whatever. The limit will be whatever the 155 system will let it have (80W I'd guess).

Ralf S.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a Scirocco years ago and i fitted a BR Motorsport headlamp wiring loom.

In brief -

3 relays that connect into existing headlamp switching circuit car battery.

Then power can be taken directly from battery.

The cables are also heavy duty.

This means that power feed to lamps is direct and not throught the standard wiring loom. I was then able to use 100/80w bulbs in the main lamps and 100w in the driving lamps.

Pros - Superb lighting even in the wet when you tend to need it more. Main beam was 400 watts!

Cons - £50 for the loom and the bulbs wre £7.50 each!

As long as you have the headlights adjusted properly then you shouldn't have problems in dazzling other road users.

As a word of warning if you replace the bulbs with 100w and do not change the wiring you could possibly melt the wiring. If you are lucky a fuse will blow first.

Try it at your own risk :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What are the reflectors on the 155 headlamps made from? If they're plastic, you could melt those too!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea pretty sure they are plastic as i had to take my nearside lamp apart to drill out a bulb that had broken and then fused itself to the housing.

I also tried to clean the reflector but just rubbed off the coating, so stopped!

IMO then i think it is probably better to leave the lighting well alone and just try more efficient bulbs.

Henry Yorke is the man to speak to.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
richward:
What are the reflectors on the 155 headlamps made from? If they're plastic, you could melt those too!
Good point, my headlamp protectors have rippled in the centre due to heat from the current standard bulb, just think what 100w would do to them!!!

wrinx

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In response to Richward, the ones I bought came from Millfield Autos in Peterborough. A little independent auto factors. Bless them, they have just about everything!
The chap in there spent 30mins trying to find me a thermostat for my V6. He had to eventually give up when he couldn't find a supplier that had one. He looked like he was on the verge of tears.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Similar bulbs in Halfords own brand line are something like £9 a shot!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys,
What fitment are the dipped headlights on our 155's. Are they H1 or H4??
Im gonna see bout getting some this afternoon when I finish work. Getting my car laser tracked as well.

Regards

Dom

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2 H1s in the headlights each side and H3s in the front fogs (Think its H3s the ones with the attatched wires)

What do ya call the sidelight bulbs?(No, not Melvin and Charles) One of mine is a little tempramental

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers guys,

So I want a pair of Phillips Vision Plus, H1 type.

My standard ones are also rubbish. I do a fair bit of country lane driving too. So I think they will be an excellent investment.

What do you recommend for the main beam?

Dom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts