Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the wizard cat-back fitted, which is great, just I would like it a bit louder, but without losing the tone of this exhaust.
From what I've read on here, the options are:
-Equal length down pipes - where can I buy these, what price, and are they easy to fit myself at home?
-GTV manifolds - understand these are a pain to fit without removing engine?
-De-cat centre pipe? - Again, where from and what sort of price? Assume this would be easy enough to DIY fit?

Are there any other options?

Basically would like a bit more volume but without compromising the sound of the wizard cat back.
So what is recomended?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Options: the decat I wouldnt advise makes a nasty rattle at low revs and doesn't make the car sound any nicer if not worse, gtv manifolds good option release more power reduces temp but need el downpipes (450) plus alot of work to replace front manifolds plus alot of adjusting and playing around. Just el downpipes fitted with everything standard all cats in place and wizard cat back, sound was perfect added that Italian Sound and wasn't too loud to make u the most hated on ur road. I missed that sound I added a scorpion decat and messed it all up. Coupled with a remap from gus it transformed the car. Just fitting the el downpipes isn't a major job think I was charged 50-60 pounds as everything came off ok.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I have the wizard system with gtv manifolds and equal front pipes. It is mental loud, to the point people look more for the "what the [email protected]@k was that"

It was quietened down dramatically by some work the wizard did but is still very loud and possibly not that legal.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks guys, looks like the EL pipes are the best option? Who makes these? is it just alfa tune or is there other options? I assume they will fit ok with standard manifolds?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I wouldn't say the eqs give you any more volume though.. I had same as you, added the eqs, and its a very subtle change. it adds a bit more depth to the sound, and it does make things a bit nicer but its marginal. for the amount I spent, I would have done the manifolds instead..as there is supposedly a much bigger sound and performance impact. I have quite a lot if vids on YouTube at various stages if you want to take a look.. making a new one tomorrow top gear style with dodgy camera shots from the hedge for a bit of a laugh, the gta will be perfect

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
i liked the subtle change and thought it sounded perfect, when i compared to my other gta with just wizard the sound is definately nicer. u can still get equal length front manifolds to fit ur el downpipes and would be a better solution to gtv manifolds, obviously will cost alot more i had a chance to get some at 800euros and now its more like 1200 but can still utililise ur existing downpipes.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so just when I thought I had my answer........
I really want more volume, and from what Fewleh says I wont really get this from the down pipes.
How big a job are the manifolds to fit? Are they do-able at home without a lift? Wish I had thought of this a couple of months back when I had cambelt done! But if i fit GTV manifolds do I not need the down pipes then anyway?

Ayat, what are these manifolds you mention other than GTV ones?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
You should have done with Cambelt mate would have been much easier. Some people have done at home but it's a two man job and u really need to have got some experience. Speak to autolusso, gtv manifolds will be much cheaper and yes u will need new equal length downpipes specific to fit the gtv manifolds. In my case and fewleh we have alfatune downpipes designed to fit the standard manifolds so cannot swap to gtv manifolds withought replacing the downpipes again. But there are some equal length manifolds on eBay from Italy that r designed to fit standard downpipes and so in theory should fit our downpipes as well if that makes sense. Only problem is they are expensive but overall would be better as front manifolds would be equal length too. Another forum member managed to source a similar tubistyle manifold for his.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
If you get a set of gtv manifolds with gtv from pipes you can have them cut off and welded onto the GTA flexi's. That is what I originally had but I found there was more vibration and volume

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I was reading about the MOT changes and it says CATS being removed will result in failure (I assume regardless of whether the car meets emission levels)
MOT changes from 2012 | AA

Will GTV manifolds now mean a MOT fail or are they not proper CATS on the originals? I assume MOT Testing stations will have access to data so they know how many CATS a car should have.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I'm not sure on this because the way I read it is it cannot have less cats than standard. They would have to check for it though.

It does seem much of the changes are aimed at modified cars. I'm not really sure what they expect to achieve

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
This is my 2.5V6 with just the Wizard exhaust and I think a sports cat at that time, it now has the standard cat which is a fraction quieter.

Alfa 156 V6 with Wizard exhaust - YouTube

So thats basically one cat and one silencer between the engine and the outside world :p

Most of the sound comes from idle to 1200rpm (first blip of the throttle) and from 4000rpm upwards. It can be pretty scary driving in 1st or 2nd gear next to a wall or similar :lol:

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
Wizard & myself were in at the weekend to make some proper front pipes for GTA, 2.25" to perfectly match the collectors on the CF2 manifolds, plus give much better ground clearance than alternative front pipes. If volume is what you want, CF2 manifolds and stainless front pipes will give it, plus a good performance increase. It's a big job tho..

Swapping the centre cats for a single race cat or decat section will also add a good bit of volume but not so much in the way of performance increase.

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
Btw pascs I never get bored of listening to that video. Reminds me of my old 3 litre. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts