Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all..
i`ve bought a 916 spider...didn`t drive it as it was delivered 330 miles to me. It`s been laid up because of snow, and didn`t even make it into the garage....so, here`s the question..
do they suffer from loud `road noise` ? i`ve just dug it out and driven for 1 mile .. it sounds like the rear tyres are made of solid rubber, and thought that the cold weather did this to them.....they are continental 205/50 16 and look in fine order...
i`m about to drive it for the first time to work tomorrow, so will see if the noise gets better..however, does anyone have any thoughts ? or am i just being paranoid ? maybe thats why theres a decent stereo in it !?!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Tyre tread distortion is common on the rear of these cars; run your hands round the inside edge of the tyres. Do they feel nice and smooth or a bit "bumpy"?
Could be a wheel bearing issue; normally if it's a bearing, the noise will change as you go round corners.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you have the "bumpy"ness and gives you the impression that the tyres have gone vaguely 50p-shaped, it can also be the rear suspension bushes.

I'd also have to ask - loud road noise compared to what? Spiders (and GTVs to some extent) are noisier than many cars anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys....i`ll have a wee feel of the tyres and see what they`re like first.....if they`re okay, i`ll maybe see if there`s someone local with a similair car, and i can have a short drive to see if theres any difference..
certainly compared to my old Fiat Spider, and (don`t laugh) mgf, it`s much louder....
hopefully its not the bushes or the bearings...

·
Registered
471 Posts
You might check the windows are sealing properly against the rubber surrounds. If there is even the smallest gap, the road noise will be quite noticeable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, drove it to work today, the noise is a bit rumbly, so suspect it may be the bearings...
on a better note, it goes well !! even had the roof down for 10 minutes, heater on full to the feet, and was lovely lovely lovely !
another problem has occured, but i`ll pop a new post up for that.
Thanks for all your help thus far chaps and chapesses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts