Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to a local back street garage today in order to get the knocking noised sorted out on my suspension, also there is some grinding coming from the front which I suspect may be a CV joint.

I went in and sat down for 20 minutes waiting for the mechanics to come and see me to give me the 'bad' news.

After said 20 minutes a mechanic came in and told me that that rear arm was shot, the front CV joint was shot as was a rear ARB bush and the Near side drive shaft.

I listened with great interest as the mechanic told me my car would literally fall to bits any second.

I know what you are thinking!!! What could I possibly do to stop this heartache and instant doom?!?!

Well if I shelled out £960 they could fix it for me and I would be back on the road without a problem.

Seriously!!!! £960!!!!! Well of course I told them that this was a fantastic deal and paid them up front including a £50 tip................NOT!!!

Apart from a terrible 'DOOM' sales pitch and the insincere approach you won't believe this but I will not be going back there.

On a serious note has anyone changed the driveshaft on a 147? are they all the same?? Mine is a 2003 Turisimo and I have seen some sec on hand items on ebay for next to nothing.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Am I right in thinking it would be more than likely a CV joint that has failed?

I'm considering DIY but if it is more appropriate I'll get my mechanic to look over it.

Cheers in advance

C

·
0 Posts
Re Driveshafts; There are at least 2 different types depending on year. Without checking eper and without knowing the year and engine size of your car I can't be more specific.

If you fit the wrong one you'll trash the ABS sensor.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hi all,

The cv joint is on its way out, that's all.

Just goes to show, always get a few opinions.

:)
Well spotted that man !! There are a few crooks out there who will make you part with your money.
The way to beat them is to always get a second opinion or have somebody you can fully trust not to give you any bullsh**.I am lucky that Neil at Njs pershore is just such a person.:thumbs:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was probably the fact that the wheel nuts had mysteriously been loosened. The wheel was about to fall off. Not a happy bunny!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
West yorkshire but I've learned my lesson now. I'm going to stick with my trusted mechanic for run of the mill stuff and go to a decent indie for Cambelts .etc

Sometimes it's better to wait I've learned.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Never go to a 'back street garage' with your Alfa, unless of course you know them. They'll just see the badge and make up the usual rubbish that everything is three or four times more expensive than everything else, which is total bollards.

Lesson learned I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts